Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TBone6606

Prox Sensor

3 posts in this topic

I've been flipping through the AD catalog for prox sensors for a safety feature. I noticed the warning box that stated some models are not intended for safety measures. Does anyone have a suggestion for a safety measure prox sensor? I was hoping to use a through-beam since I want to kill my drill press if someone gets near the reamer. Any insight is greatly appreciated!!! TBone6606

Look at their Safety Light Curtains. Safety items are very special. They are made with two separate types of processing so that, if one fails, the other still causes the proper shutdown. I know they are more expensive but how much is a hand worth? Edited by b_carlton

I have had many customers request using similar devices for safety. The problem is, most standard devices are not failsafe. A safety device has some sort of redundancy built into it, like a NO and NC contacts, or self diagnostics, dual processors with crosscheck ect. Never let someone who doesn't know any better convince you to circumvent what is required. Like you said b, how much is a hand or a life worth. And if you are the integrator responsible for installing the less than adequate equipment, it could be your business, reputation, livelihood.