Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nbergeron

Seamlessly using RSLogix Emulate 5000

7 posts in this topic

Hi all, I've looked around and haven't found an answer to this question specificaly so here goes: When I develop a project on RSLogix 5000 and it comes time to test, I like to use RSLogix 5000 Emulate. However, it is a pretty cumbersome task because I have to rebuild all the I/O configuration using 1756 generic modules (which is a bother but not that bad really). The even worse part is that the tagging is changed on each and every I/O point, so there I am doing find and replaces. It really becomes a PITA. Does anyone have any smoother, seamless suggestions? Any ideas at all would be appreciated. Thanks in advance! Edited by nbergeron

Basically you can create internal tags that represent your outputs and then map them to the physical outputs. By doing this you can leave the core code alone and only change where the output logic is mapped to which can be done with a simple move instruction for example. This is how I create logic as a practice just because it makes the logic more modular and can be used no matter what the physical output is. Gene Edited by Gene

Thanks for the reply, but I also map my I/O to internal tags using an I/O routine, however that doesn't solve the answer of renaming each and every single physical I/O point when I try to use the emulator. It really isn't the end of the world, but it sure would be nice to find an easier alternative.

do you have access to a WORKING system on your office desk that includes a processor, chassis, and power supply? ... if you do, consider leaving all of the I/O in their "final" configuration - but INHIBIT all of the input modules ... you can then manually toggle the input signals on and off as you debug the program ... or ... you could actually write a separate "debug" routine to automatically manipulate the input signals for you ... in effect, you'd be building your own emulator ... note that the I/O modules don't need to be physically installed in your desktop system - just configured so that their tags are available ... this approach is actually quite useful when working with PID control since the emulator software packages won't usually execute the PID instruction ... Edited by Ron Beaufort

I haven't used the 'debug' file, an associate has, but I thought that it wasn't downloaded to an actual CPU only to the emulator.

RSEmulate5000 does not emulate ControlLogix hardware totally successfully - Check out my post #4 at My link You cannot beat having a replica hardware setup - you will be able to debug things like scan time issues and other things that RSEmulate just doesn't tell you.

I actually emulate my programs with the RSEmulate5000 and make a simple application on Factory Talk View Studio (when I have time) to test the program. But I have my doubts on this emulator, It is extremely slow when working with the Factory Talk application. I would recommend to do as Ron Beaufort says, I mean with an actual CLX. Just use Emulate5000 if its really really necessary.