Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DCS_GURU

future of WinCC

3 posts in this topic

I have heard rumours siemsn is planning to drop the winCC product range in faviour of an open source style product similiar to Citect, if so whill there be an upgrade path? Has anybody else heard this rumour, which came from a source at Siemens Head Office in Germany. What are local distributors saying? Would like you thoughts

This must be a false rumor I'm afraid. Siemens has just released WinCC v11 which is the new all-encompasing platform for all HMI solutions from Siemens. Siemens is betting heavily on "TIA Portal" in which WinCC v11 is an important part. That means that both WinCC v7 and WinCC Flexible 2008 are to be migrated into WinCC v11. The old HMI platforms will continue to be supported for some time, but dont count on that new features will be added. I also dont think that PCS7 has yet been integrated into the new platform, but it will at some time. There IS an upgrade path. You can upgrade old licenses to the new software, and you can migrate the projects. Btw. I dont think that Citect is "Open Source".

I like WinCC but PCS7 is a whole different kettle of fish. I really wish the standard libraries for PID Loops and Valve control (etc) would look a bit more slick. They take a hell of a lot of getting used to