Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MuttsNutts

Socomec DIRIS A40/A41 power meters

2 posts in this topic

Hello. I have a Socomec DIRIS unit with two A40/A41 (4-20mA) modules puluuged in the back. I can get some values back but I am struggling with Power Factor. Page 11 in the manual (ref: 536048) lists all the 25 possible options that can be assigned to Out 1 ( to Out 4 in my case). I can get back Voltage, Current and Kw in Out 1 to 3 but what is the parameter for Power Factor? Also, should I care about the min and max scaling for all analogue outputs? What I mean is, for voltage, I am assuming that I will not get more than 500v therefore have set the max to 500. If the unit is capable of measuring 1000v then would it "compress" a value of 1000v to give 20mA, or would it give 20mA at 500v and above? I am reading back 412.3 for voltage and this corresponds what is shown on the display, so I am guessing that a max of 500 for this Analogue Output is in EU and I have therefore chosen a correct scale (0 to 500). One final question - what is the difference between "K" and "/" after the min (or max) settings? (I assume K is 000s but what is "/"?) Any help appreciated.

Ok, after a bit of digging, I have come up with the following: it is not possible to get PF (Powe Factor) back as a 4-20mA. BUT.... PF = P/S (which is Active Power kw / Apparent Power kva) and because I bring back Active Power (on Out 2), then all I need to do is bring back Apparent Power on Out 3 (the one I'm trying to get PF on) and perform the calculation in the PLC. This, of course, could all be achieved so much easier by using a ProfiBus module but I've got to work with 4-20mA I/O units so I hope this will help someone else in the future.