Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tommu56

slc 505 processor and io spread over 80'000 sq-ft

10 posts in this topic

We have a machine with a SLC 505 that needs to know when the the other 20 machines are running over about 80,000 sq-ft. I only need 2 inputs and 2 outputs max (only one input for now). I was hoping on Ethernet IO but it looks like the SLC's doesn't do that. We do have remote IO on it but the cable lengths and conduit runs would be unreasonable to hit each machine for 1 IO point. These machines have processors ranging from Automax to S7-300's to some old TI 505's there is a plant LAN switch at each machine that i can attach to. Any suggestions?

Rockwell may not have an Ethernet I/P, but third party has some for SLC chassis http://www.prosoft-technology.com/prosoft/products/for_rockwell_automation/platform/slc/mvi46_dfnt

There are also wireless io options. I like Prosoft hardware and their tech support has always been good

Since plant LAN infrastructure is already in place, have you looked at putting a MicroLogix 1100 PLC in each machine? 10 AC or DC in/6 relay out may be more than you need but they can communicate directly to your existing SLC. They're actually less expensive than some Ethernet I/O modules I've looked at, such as Acromag. Mike

I am not a windoze fan, but if everything can be connected via ethernet, have you considered using an OPC server to pass the data around. Red Lion might have an industrial protocol converter, worth checking.

With twenty devices to connect to, there are older models and revisions of SLC-5/05 that support fewer TCP connections than the modern Series C hardware (32, 48, or 64 Connections on the L551/552/553 controllers). If you have one of these older ones, you're going to have to carefully examine your existing communications before using SLC-5/05 or MicroLogix controllers and MSG instructions. If it were me, I would buy a Modbus/TCP scanner module from Prosoft (the MVI46-MNET is the modern one) and a case of I/O modules equipped with Modbus/TCP. There are a lot of distributed I/O systems that support Modbus/TCP, but for your requirements of low I/O count, I would recommend Sealevel Systems. You can get their "eIO" 4 isolated input module for just $140 in single quantities. They even have a Power over Ethernet version so you don't have to provide two separate local power supplies or circumvent input isolation.

Great product there Ken. I think I'll look into using these on some of my remote monitoring applications where I just need a few points of I/O

Thanks all for the input!!!!! Actually the micrologix 1100 crossed my mine Ill have to look at the slc to see how many connections it can take and maybe use some thing to filter or concentrate the connection if it doesn't have enough. Wireless is most likely out unless I can set it up so if it looses signal it will default to the on state. Modbuss/tcp might have a chance out building automation guy uses that lon and bacnet (all uncharted territory for me) tom Edited by tommu56

Look at the banner wireless.

Those two are easy. Just take AB's prices and inflate them about 10 fold. The only reason that those are popular is sort of like using DH-485 or DH+....because it came with the processor, or building automation stuff in this case. Even a low end Micrologix PLC has vastly better communication, programming, and IO capability than any building automation system. Crack open their catalogs and look. Once you get over the jargon hurdle, it's unbelievable what they charge. LON in particular never should have made it into the market place since the only thing open about that "standard" is your wallet (the manufacturer had a bunch of patents and other things to prevent anyone else from selling communication chip sets or reverse engineering the protocol). At least in that respect, BACnet is a little better in that it's truly an open protocol. Believe me, you can put in an AB nanoPLC or something from Automation Direct and run rings around the controllers and the IO that is available for the building automation guys.