Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ScottyH

Operation security Passwords

4 posts in this topic

I have a need to look at a table of passwords in the PLC then allow access to operate the machine. That is a operator has to login to operate the machine. Password currently are 6 characters only numeric. End user now wants 8 characters alphanumeric. with 128 passwords. operators have unique password that the table is sent from a centrial data base into the PLC. PLC 90-30 GE HMI Quick Panel app on a Windows CE Has anyone done anything like this?

Been a while since I've done it and it was on an AB platform not a 90-30. YOu should be able to do something like this but why? If the QuickPanel App is on Windows CE why not use Windows User Login to control what is accessible. That way the Network Admins can maintian the username / password stuff and you're not littering the PLC with data and code to perform a function for which it is not best suited.

I would like to do it as you suggest. I inharrited this project and now the scope has out grown the hardware. I am not sure how to tackle this. I suppose I could create a VB app to allow entry of the password, look up in a data table then lanch the HMI app. The passwords would need to be stored in the hard drive of the pc. the machine is not alwas hooked up to the network. So I have some learning to do. VB app and launching of the HMI app from VB, and build sucurity in the HMI app to make sure there is no back door. This seems like it is a useful re-useble item. Has any one done this? By the way - numeric password 128 table took up 256 registers I feel the alphanumaric would take up 1024 registers. That sure seems like a great deal of PLC resourses just to access the machine. 90-30 only has 9999 %R

You can re-create this in VB or do as The Wizard suggests and use the Windows CE built in User Accounts. they integrate very nicely into the QuickPanel View platform. There are examples in "Samples" within the Proficy ME development software package.