Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Greg

DC speed control

8 posts in this topic

Hi to all, Its not exactly about some kind of controllers. I have to control a speed of a DC motors supplied with 24VDC, as fact Analog outputs range are 0-10v the most(not that i saw 0-24v). Any suggestion will be accepted with all respect. Thanks in advance, Best Regards, Greg.

Greg: Is the motor you are trying to control a 24vdc motor? If so, you would need to find a DC motor amplifier (drive) that matches the motor you are using. DC motors cannot be driven from a typical analog output unless the motor is really small with low current requirements. A drive would have to be used to power the motor with the speed command signal coming from an analog output card (0-10vdc, +/-10vdc, 0-20mA or 4-20mA). Does this help?

Yes as i mentioned the DC Motor a 24VDC Motor. and yes i know i have to control it with a DC Drive and its not able to control with analog output of the PLC because of the low amperage. First of all thank you for reading and answering my post, and it could be greater if you could tell me which manufacturers selling this kind of drives. Best Regards, Greg.

Greg: We use KB Electronics drives for our 90vdc applications. They have nice, inexpensive drives for basic applications. I did a quick check and they do have drives for 24vdc motors. Their website suggested using either a 9500 (KBBC-24M) or a 9501 (KBBC-44M) drive. If you go to their website, you can download a manual. I also checked and they have a stocking distributor in Israel (listed below). Their website is www.kbelectronics.com Best of luck. Locate a KB International Distributor (located outside the USA) Record Details Country/Area:Israel City:Emek Hefer Name:Elram Engineering Phone:4-622-0766 Fax:4-622-0760 E-mail:elrameng@elrameng.com Web Site:www.elrameng.com Product Line(s):AC & DC Drives Stocking:This is a stocking distributor (edited to clarify distributor info) </B> Edited by drforsythe
2 people like this

Thanks you very much drforsythe, Actually I had a little research and found this company too(i thought about calling them, wanted to see if there are other options), and as i understood from the data sheet I even can change its direction(whats wonderful). could you please tell me more about these drives(from your experience with them), and is it easy to manage them(is there any software or just my analog signal from PLC)? Thanks you in advance and for your instant help. Best Regards, Greg.

Greg: We have used the KBWS line of drives from KB Electronics. One reason they were chosen is because of their ease of use. There is no software to set up, just jumpers and potentiometers. The potentiometers will modify settings such as maximum current, minimum and maximum speed, acceleration and deceleration. Speed and direction are controlled from your analog signal and digital outputs. They are very robust and reliable. We use them for controlling powder feeders on our extrusion lines as well as belt and screw conveyors. I did not look closely at the manual for the units I suggested. You will want to make sure you have all of the components you need to run your motor. When I first started using them, I overlooked the fact that I needed a horsepower resistor sized for my motor. That is just an example of what I ran into. I would not have had this problem had I read the literature completely! Best of luck.

Greg: Bardac has a great little dc quad amp that accepts a bi-polar 0-10vdc signal and can be supplied with a 24vdc input and produce a bi-polar output for your 24vdc motor. Here is a link to the product. http://bardac.com/pages/products/servo.html. Be sure to check out their other products as well. jbrazington@bardac.com

Thank you guys for your help, you helped me a lot.