Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lonegator

Configuring Remote PLC Access With Two NIC Cards

4 posts in this topic

I wanted to see if someone can fill me in on what I need to do to get this working (or if it's even possible)...My HMI PC has two NIC cards. The first is directly connected to a switch in the control panel which gives me access to the PLC. It's IP address is 192.168.1.21 and has no gateway. The 2nd cards is connected to my company's Internet. It has an IP address of 192.168.0.106 and a gateway of 192.168.0.1. Is it possible to bridge these connections and open up my Internet to give a remote programmer access to the PLC program in case we need changes made? I'm new to this so if someone could provide steps on what I need to do, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

Usually connecting process to a point accessable from the internet is not SOP due to security issues. The most common method I have come across for remote program interface is to have the programmer have the access to the address of the device but only hardwire it in while the programming changes are being made. To leave a connection bridged invites virus and other issues. If you trust your company's LAN and the programmer is someone on that network, then the concerns are less. Still, it is not advisable to leave a permanent connection like this open.

That makes sense. Could I temporarily bridge the connections and configure back to normal when the programmer is done? If so, what is the procedure for creating the bridge and what needs to be open on the router for the programmer to have access?

Reconfigure the PLCs IP address to an open address on the server (I.E.: 192.168.0.200). Assign the PLC the same gateway as the server as well. You will have to do these edits offline and download the changes into the processor. Upon a successful download, you should see a communication loss between your PC and the PLC due to the IP changes, disconnect the ethernet cable that is on the server and plug it into the switch. Finally reconfigure the first NIC card IP address to another open address on the server (I.E: 192.168.0.201). You should then be able to connect to the PLC using the first NIC card, as well as anywhere on your company's network. If you have a IT person that takes care of the network there, ask them for two free IP addresses. It's typically best to let them know that there is going to be new nodes on the network. Edited by damper