Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
308guru

Missing decimal point

12 posts in this topic

I have an existing piece of equipment that I would like to retrieve some data from. I need to run a gauge R&R but I can't get all of the information through the panelview. It's a pressure decay test and I need the pressure at the start of the test, which is not displayed. It's an older piece of equipment, and with my limited programming experience, I don't want to change anything at this point. I can't afford any down/learning time if I screw something up. The PLC is a an ML1500 and the panelview is a 300. I can't seem to figure out how the correct info is being displayed. The pressure is displayed out to 2 decimal places (ex. 75.32 psi) and I can't figure out where the 2nd decimal is coming from. The transducer is a 0-100psi with 0-10V output. I found the SCP command in the program which takes the input from the transducer 0-30600 and scales it from 0-1000. That value is stored in N11:13. There is another MOV command that moves N11:13 to N11:5. The panelview displays N11:5 but scales it by .1. The panelview screen shows that location to be a 1 place decimal. If I bring up the properties of that value, it shows the number of digits to be 5 with 1 decimal place and zero fill to the left. As I watch, the display clearly shows 2 decimal places, and without doing so, it would seem that the resolution wouldn't be fine enough. Where is the 2nd decimal place coming from? I did have to import the panelview program into FactoryTalk View from a .pba file type. Would this transition lose anything that would indicate the 2nd decimal? Thanks. Edited by mckeand13

Can you post the original PBA? Indicate exactly which value is showing 2 decimal places of information. Which display are you describing, the original Panelview or your Panelview Plus? Edited by b_carlton

PBA file is attached. There is only 1 screen. Any of the displayed pressure values are showing 2 decimals. PBA file.zip

I don't see how a display, running on the program in the PBA, could show two decimal positions. Was the PBA created by an upload from the Panelview? Have you re-downloaded from thei PBA from Panelbuilder? I'm trying to verify somehow that the display you observed really and truly was running the program you posted. Otherwise, I don't know.

The machine was inherited from one of our other companies so I don't know the background on it. I had a company backup the programs before we moved it. I don't know for sure if this is the program that is currently running or not. Even if the panelview program was set to show 2 decimal points, where would that 2nd one come from? The number starts as a 3 digit integer. it is then scaled by .1 so other decimal points exist. Is that thinking wrong?

Your seperator in the address looks like a semicolon instead of a colon. Is that right? Is this a language setting thing?

If I double click on the ###.# location on the screen to bring up the properties, It seems like it's a tag or variable. Not sure if I have that terminology correct though. In the "text" window where you would normally type, it shows a bunch of information but it's all one thing. I can't edit any of it, or select just a portion of it. It shows /*N:5 lwr_ch_psi ZEROFILL DP:1*/ If I double click on that text, it brings up the Numeric Variable window. That shows that the tag is lwr_ch_psi and all of the information driving the # of digits, decimal places, and zero fill. That much the be info generating the previous screen's text string.

By the way - I saw in a post on another forum that the semicolon is acceptable, PB32 just treats it as a colon. But I'm looking at the screen in Panelbuilder32. When I double click on the '##' I get a numeric data display object which looks nothing like what you show. Are you showing the project after being imported into Factorytalk ME?

Yes, I am showing it after import. I only have FactoryTalk ME, not Panelbuilder. Is that where things are getting screwed up? There is a co-worker who has Panelbuilder. I'll have to look at it on his computer so there is no conversion happening.

I need some help uploading the program. The setup is an ML1500. Two connections coming out of that. One from the DB9 port on the left side a NET ENI One from the front right side 9pin min din to the first of four 1761-NET-AIC cards. That first one is connected to the next card. Each of the remaining three are connected to the panelview 300. There is also a larger panelview 550 which according to the wiring drawing shows that it's coming off the first 1761-NET-AIC, but I didn't see the connection. Can I connect to the plc or panelviews over ethernet via the NET-ENI card? I uploaded the configuration of the NET-ENI to get the ip address. I then changed my ip address of my computer to 1 different on the last segment of the ip address. I can't connect to the plc though. I'm trying to do two things. 1) Get online with the PLC. 2) Upload the panelview programs

Getting online to the PLC should be okay. Assuming you do have a unique IP installed in your computer and the current RSLinx and RSLogix500. We actually ahve one working this way in a new machine we are building. I don't know about the Panelview and the DH485 network. I haven't used one. Does the Panelview have two DH485 ports?

I finally got it figured out. Uploaded the PLC program from the ML1500. Checked the scaling and it was 0-10,000, not 0-1,000 as I originally thought. Uploaded the HMI program (using a 1747-UIC and PM-02) and the location uses 5 digits with 2 decimals. The company I paid to back up the programs before a move just send me files they had and didn't do the upload as expected. I was working from their files assuming they were the latest. Thanks for the help.