Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tcookson

Ethernet Global Data vs SRTP for 90-30 & VersaMax Comms

2 posts in this topic

I am taking over support of an exisiting system from a colleague who has changed careers, and have some system architecture points to address. The existing system has a mix of 90-30 & VersaMax PLC's communicating via CCM over a serial radio. The client is upgrading their network to Ethernet radios, so I get to rewirte their polling routines. If this was your system, would you use EGD for PLC-PLC communications, or keep the existing COMMREQ structure in the ladder, but switch the COMMREQ blocks over to SRTP to move from the serial system to the new Ethernet system. It is my understanding that the principal advantage of SRTP is that I maintain control of triggering comms within the ladder program (similar to how it exists today), but I have to use COMMREQ blocks. If I go EGD, then the configuration is a little easier, but I lose some control over when comms occur (which could cause bandwidth/collision issues). The entire system consists of ~30 controllers. Comments?

EGD, no real question in my mind. The comms will be faster, should be fast enough that control of when is not an issue. You can slow it down some if needed by controlling the Produced interval.