Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Michael Lloyd

Installing Logix 500 and Logix 5000 at thesame time

8 posts in this topic

I've recently moved from contract to full time employment with my favorite customer. I have Logix 500 and Logix 5000 ordered. Since they both use RsLinx I was wondering if I need to install them in a certain order. I've installed bot pieces of software numerous times but never at the same time on a fresh machine. I once installed an older version of 500 after my version 17 5000 install and vaguely remember that hosed up my RsLinx for a short time. Any insight would be appreciated.

Congratulations on the new gig ! I'd install RSLogix 5000 first, because it will install the .NET and FactoryTalk components it needs. Next install RSLogix 500, then RSLinx Classic. If you get them all from the same Coordinated Product Release (CPR 9 SR2 is the current one) then they'll all work together fine. If you're installing multiple versions of RSLogix 5000, though, install them in ascending order. When you get the software on DVD, it should include the option to install v10 through v19 all at once.

Thanks Ken, I've made the mistake of only installing one version so I will be installing 10 thru 19. I've installed 5000 a few times over the years. The first time I mindlessly clicked through and didn't install everything that I needed. I've since learned to install the full package.

I can't begin to tell you how irritated I am with AB right now. Please tell my why they put so much effort into protecting something they shouldn't even charge for? I could probably be here all night listing off everything that's got me pissed off right now but I'll just stick to the most pressing items first (1) I ordered software from the distributor and it finally showed up. I requested that RSLogix 5000 Pro and RSLogix 500 Pro use a USB dongle for activation. I want to use the software on my desktop and my laptop. I develop on a dual monitor setup on my desktop and do my field work on a laptop. That's why I requested ONE dongle for both pieces of software. (1a) The software came separately from the dongle. I had to wait an extra 3 days for the dongle. Hello... earth to AB one is worthless without the other (1b) The Logix 5000 DVD comes with all kinds of nifty software that doesn't work. None of the RSNetworx software works. RSEmulate... doesn't work. I can't get anyone to even tell me if Pro comes with it or if supplying the software, though worthless without activation, is some kind of cheap marketing trick. Considering what Pro costs I expected to get something other than the programming software. I need some clarification. I can't expect to get a straight answer from the vendor. They can't even explain the difference between node-locked and concurrent. (1c) What, if anything other than programming software, do I get with RSLogix 5000 Pro? (2) I installed and activated RS500 after RS5000. 500 is popping a not activated / demo mode window. The key is installed and it shows up in the Activation mis-manager. Any clue why the antique, over priced software doesn't see it's activation? I've been trying to get my employer moved to AB Control Logix from GE. At this rate it's going to be nearly impossible. The GE software installs and runs... That would be a big plus for the AB camp at this point. Edited by Michael Lloyd
1 person likes this

RSLogix 5000 Professional's activation is supposed to activate the whole suite of software that comes with it; RSEmulate 5000, RSNetworx, all the language editors. The edition/feature matrix is on the RA website here: http://www.rockwellautomation.com/rockwellsoftware/design/rslogix5000/orderinginfo.html I would have to see your actual *.LIC file or a screenshot of Activation Manager to venture a guess about what's going on. The selection of the appropriate hardware ID and download of the *.LIC files is simpler in Activation Manager 3.3, but it can still be tricky even for veteran users. One diagnostic step you can take is to create a Logix 5000 project and try to create a Function Block or Structured Text routine. If you can, then you know that those editors have been activated. Does an error message or notification appear when you try to run RSEmulate or RSNetworx, or does the software just fail to launch ? Let's double-check and make sure there are two *.LIC files in the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Rockwell Automation\Activations directory, and that it's the directory that is both described in the "Path to Activations" field in the Activation Manager and that the checkbox next to it is checked.

Ken, I don't see any difference in the activation process and I've been use CLX since Rev 10. It's still kludgey. The interface is pretty. The method is a little different. But it's still a kludgey mess. If I wrote a program for a PLC that work that badly I would fire me on the spot. They make drugs for the treatment of paranoia. Or they could just change their business model and make the hardware pay for the software. If they did that they other PLC mfg's would fall further behind and the incremental increase in hardware cost wouldn't be noticed. Especially in today's economy.. That said- (1) What is the difference between Node-locked and Concurrent? Some of my software is node-locked and some is concurrent. I need all of it to run on two different PC's but not at the same time. Ie I work off of two machines. Why is this so hard for AB to do right? (2) 5000 works. 500 does not work. Both are supposed to be tied to the same USB key but even though the activations manager sees the 500 and 5000 USB key activation 500 starts in demo mode. I needed 500 to work today otherwise I wouldn't have wasted my entire evening installing this stuff. (3) Networx starts but at the bottom of the window its says "The Network Health Monitor has not been successfully activated... blah blah grace period blah blah. I won't be back online until tonight. Thanks for your help.

The RSNetworx part is easy; there is a "Maintenance and Diagnostics" supervisory add-on for RSNetworx that is another optional license. It's very uncommon outside automotive assembly. All installations of RSNetworx that don't have "MD" will show that nuisance warning for the first week until the grace period expires. You can safely ignore it. Node-Locked activations are tied to a specific piece of hardware; a network card's MACID, a hard drive volume serial number, or a HASP dongle's hardware ID. Concurrent Activations are the client/server type, where you "borrow" an activation from the activation server, and either check it back in or allow it to "age out". This is meant for departments full of engineers to share a pool of licenses. Concurrent licenses are managed differently, priced differently, and are sold with different part numbers. When you look at the FactoryTalk Activation Manager's "Available Licenses" list, a number in the column labeled "Total" is the number of Concurrent licenses. The text "n/a" in that column indicates a Node Locked license. Would you mind explaining which licenses are concurrent and which are node-locked ? Your original post suggested that you had only RSLogix 500 and RSLogix 5000, which are typically both sold as Node-Locked licenses, though Concurrent is a more-expensive option. You can definitely run both on the same PC ! Does the phrase "demo mode" appear for RSLogix 500 when it launches and displays an error message that includes the phrase "this product does not have a demo mode" ? What you ought to see instead is a notification about the product running in Grace Period mode. RSLogix 500 version 7.30 and later support the Grace Period functionality; are you installing an old version ? RSLogix 500 8.30 is the current release. One thing about RSLogix 500 that might cause what you're seeing: if you entered a fake serial number (many users were in the habit of entering 1234567890) during installation, RSLogix 500 will try to match it with the activation, and will fail. You might have to get your hands dirty with REGEDIT or reinstall. FactoryTalk Activation logs all of its operations into the FactoryTalk Diagnostics log. Launch the FT Diagnostic Viewer (Start -> Programs -> Rockwell Software -> FactoryTalk Tools -> Diagnostics Viewer. That log may show you an activation failure that is more verbose than the pop-up and might point to the issue you're seeing with RSLogix 500.

Ken, I appreciate the detailed reply and I will get back to you in the morning. It's a little after 9pm here and I just got home from work. Ill list the info that you asked about by from the registration sheets that came with the software. A couple of quick answers- 500 and 5000 are node-locked (which sounds like the right answer). As far as fake S/N, the company that I work for paid a lot of money for the software so I've been extra careful to put the correct serial numbers in. More in the morning. Thanks again. Mike