Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gromit

CompactLogix Firmware support

6 posts in this topic

When attempting to go online with a CompactLogix PLC using RSLogix5000 ver13, I get an error and cannot upload or go online. The error is as attached, and inserted below: Failed to upload. The controller you requested contains firmware revision 17.3. RSLogix 5000 support for this revision is not installed. To upload from this controller you need to install RSLogix 5000 support for this firmware. So, will I be able to go online with this PLC with my version 13 RSLogix 5000 software without having to flash the PLC firmware? . . . or will I have to upgrade my software to a newer version? What steps should I take?

You should install at least V17 and all version in between just in case you run into this again. Also, you need to install them in order and they are up to V19 now. Hope this helps.

Thanks Bob. Will I need to upgrade the RSLogix software, or could I just load/install the RSLogix 5000 support files as suggested in the error message? "RSLogix 5000 support for this revision is not installed. To upload from this controller you need to install RSLogix 5000 support for this firmware." Another question: could I change the IP address with RSLinx, since my RSLogix5000 software is outdated? Edited by gromit

In this case "support" means "a version of the software that matches the firmware". The various RSLogix 5000 versions are full installs, not components or plug-ins. I strongly recommend installing the releases in order, on top of your v13 software. V14 was a GM-only release, so v15, v16, v17, v18, v19 are all available to be installed now. Be sure you get the current releases of each; my recollection is that RSLogix had one or two patch releases for each revision other than the current one: 15.04, 16.03, 17.02, 18.01, 19.00. (all off the top of my head). If you only need to change the IP address, you only need RSLinx Classic software. It includes the applet for configuring the Ethernet modules for all Logix-family controllers (ControlLogix, CompactLogix, DriveLogix, FlexLogix). Version 2.57 is the current release, and even the free Lite version includes the Ethernet configuration applet. You will probably need to install an EDS file for the Ethernet module before RSLinx Classic will recognize it and allow the Ethernet module configuration applet to launch for it. Installing a current release of RSLinx Classic will include most of the modern EDS files. Edited by Ken Roach

To get the support files you will need to upgrade your software. You can use the BootP tool to change the IP address. It installs with RSLogix, and should be in your programs list in the start menu.

Thanks to Bob, Ken and JRoss for your input. Very helpfull, as usual.