Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RFurey

A crazy idea .... RSVIEW32 multiple monitors.

8 posts in this topic

I have three machines (each with it's own SLC500). I want to connect all the machines to a common RSView32 station for recipe development, datalogging ... etc. On each machine, I would normally put a Panelview with pushbuttons and numeric display/inputs on it. I have just started looking into using multiple monitors with a common computer running RSView32 for another application (I've never done it before) and the thought occurred to me – why couldn't I replace the Panelviews in the three machine project with computer monitors, all running off the one RSView32 station? Has anyone done anything like this? Any obvious problems with this approach that I haven't considered? Edited by RFurey

The big one that jumps out at me is Windoze dependence. PanelViews as well as some other hardware based HMIs can run for years without a single one second of hesitation or failure even in some nasty environments. While even the PV standard is slow to start after power-up, EZ Touch (obsolete...see c-more) panels are quick starting, but none are more responsive in my experience than the Red Lion G3 with it's 7 seconds from power on to fully functional and communicating with multiple devices via free dedicated drivers and multiple industrial com ports. The 2nd one would be cost. I would spend $1k to $4k on a G3 rather than the high end of that range a PC and RSView with its tag limited license scheme. A g3 boots in about 7 seconds. Not, starts a self test...I mean you apply power, and 8 seconds later you are controlling your machine... Have you ever seen RSView32 run for 6 years unattended like the EZTouch 10" on my spiral freezer that gets a nightly steam bath? I have come to regard PC based HMI as best suited for luxury roles, and should be never be part of the functional requirements of the machine. Panelmates can take a pounding too, and are super easy to program, very flexible in comms, and a cakewalk to upgrade and download. But some of these foolish mfgs are switching to Windozer CE, and waiting on MicroShards to splinter your control and make you stare at a spinning houglasses too much. [/rant] [rant some mo'=ON] Save your RSView32 works license for a SCADA in the Engineering Team Manager's offices and use the high end reporting, recipe and SPC features. I think that's where the most bang for the buck is with RSView FatcoryTalkView and other PC based SCADA/HMI systems. I am more happy with iFix from GE as far as performance and reliability. It's complicated enough to do anything, but has a nice edit mode GUI and you can drill into an application and make changes quite easily once you understand the driver setup and tag/driver database layout. We are getting ready to embark on , and hey guess what? One of the SCADA/HMI/SQL systems is NOT foolish. They bypassed Windows, and went straight to Java.I haven't touched the editor, but Mike (my com padre' at work ) sent me a browser link the other day, after two days of playing with it, and he had a waste treatment area running on my desktop across the lab with only about a 1 minute install. I was impressed, but the graphics still needed work. He said, 'Man! It would have taken me 6 weeks and 18 patches to do that with FactoryTalk.' Edited by OkiePC

Paul you are in rare form. I agree 100% I would use a G3 with remote displays. The shop I worked for once used rsv32 as local HMI. They didn't use it for SCADA just HMI I could do the sane thing with a G3 and a cheap PC. Just because that wanted the 24 " screens. I am doing my first G3 to FTP for datalogging. I may be asking you about some custom logging you did in that weight checker.

I just enabled FTP Sync Manager on my checkweigher. It took IT four months to give me a spot on their FTP machine. I had trouble at first, and finally figured out that I was putting in the FTP Client/Server address by name in Crimson 3.0 which is how my IT guy sent the infor in an email. But, the ethernet port of my G306 had no DNS, DCHP or gateway configured. I changed the FTP location to Fixed IP and entered the actual fixed IP address of their server, and it immediately put 4 months worth of data on the network drive, and keeps the latest one synced every hour on the hour. All this while interacting with the Compactlogix, and a 5/04 via Net-ENI. G3s Rule. The FTP log file is created on the root of the CF card which is inaccessible from a remote (web browser) session, so I think I am going to try to copy the FTP log file to the Logs folder with a button and a complex expression in Crimson on my secure screen. so I don't have to walk through a freezer to plug in the USB cable...I can remote in, enter my credentials, go to the CF Functions Screen, push the FTP Error Log Update button, and then back out to the Logs folder and download it from within the browser. Also, I am not custom logging anymore. I got with Dan or Jeremy and learned how to set the built in logger for event mode, one file per day, so it caches the write cycles for two minute cycles, and thereby greatly increases the MTBF of the CF Card. I was custom logging a new entry every 5 seconds before, so my CF card was more likely to suffer from excess write cycles and the chance of having the write cycle interrupted by a power outage. The built in logger takes care of all that for me...The only trade-off is that it creates a new file at Midnight, and I would prefer it to happen at 3a.m. We often run a few minutes past midnight in the palletizing room where the scale is located. Edited by OkiePC

I understand and agree with Okie's comments regarding PCs on the plant floor. That aside, we currently have five twinscrew extruders running RSView 32. The control system not only controls the extruder, but also the feed stream and refill system. This requires us to have a display on the main extruder panel (on ground level) and another on the feeder level (upstairs). We currently accomplish this using a keyboard/video/mouse (KVM) extender from Black Box. This particular KVM runs us about $900 and includes the main unit and one remote station. The main unit is powered by the PC and the remote unit is powered with a 110vac power adapter. Communication between the units is a single cat. 5 ethernet cable. We only use the video and touchscreen signals, but we could also have a remote keyboard if we chose to. Hopefully this info is helpful.

Are both of the displays beign run from one PC with one RSView32 license?

Okie: Yes, two displays, one RSV32 running on one PC. I should have clarified this. The same info is displayed simultaneously on both monitors. You will NOT be able to have independent displays using this method. For our application, it works fine. We have one operator of the line that may be in one of two locations.

I would like to see the .rsv for this. It sounds like a cool project can you share?