Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
d0ubleth1nk

Ethernet router for leased-line

4 posts in this topic

I'm trying to get an Ethernet connection to a remote valve chamber that has an existing lease-line. I need a router (or any device) that connects on both ends of the lease line, that has has Ethernet connections for the PLC at the valve chamber and the network switch at the HMI. Any ideas?

I know that some of Zypcom's modems can be used on leased lines; I don't know about the one that RA sells as the 9300-RADES. My Google-Fu finds this device from MuLogic: http://www.mulogic.com/llm-336-eth.html Is this a voice-grade leased line (about 33.6 kb/s max), or will it support faster frequencies like 56K, or even DSL frequencies ? You could probably get a pair of cheap DSL modems go hook up back-to-back. The obsolete 3COM OfficeConnect 3C886 LAN Modem might also be an option in the aftermarket.

Thanks Ken. We spec'd MuLogic for the City of Chicago Water System and had nothing but trouble, plus their from Holland so tech support was crazy to setup. This project is using a voice grade leased line. Bascially I want a router with an embeded voice grade modem for this type of application, but no one manufacturer makes such a device. I ended up emailing N-Tron, Hirschmann, Cisco, Phoenix Contact and Black Box. Only Black Box has a solution using a modem and a router with a serial connection for both ends. It can't be worse than MuLogic.

You should take a better Ethernet connection from service provider. The Ethernet connection is the great way to connect your device. I can say it confidence because I also have ISP business about this task.