Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Craig Chamberlin

Difference Between RSLogix Standard / Concurrent Licenses

5 posts in this topic

Hello Everyone, I managed to find out the differences between the Starter, Standard and Professional editions of the software packages for RSLogix 500 but I received pricing for both standard activations and concurrent activations. The concurrent licensing seems to be more expensive but I cannot for the life of me find anyone to explain the difference between the licenses. I know concurrent means "simultaneously" or "at the same time", but don't really see what they mean by this. Any insight would be extremely helpful. Also, Rockwell Customer Support wanted to charge me to tell me the difference between software versions I wish to purchase... I find it odd that they want to charge me to give me information to purchase a product from them... Thanks! Craig Chamberlin

I don't know AB's definition but here is how the PC world defines it. Definition of: concurrent use license A software license that is based on the number of simultaneous users accessing the program. It typically deals with software running in the server where users connect via the network. For example, in a five-user concurrent use license, after five users are logged on to the program, the sixth user is prohibited. When any one of the first five log out, the next person can log in. Concurrent licensing can be managed by the application itself or via independent software metering tools. See software metering. Contrast with per seat license.

My understanding: Concurrent Activation means that the license can be shared among multiple users in a networked environment. Only one stations can "check out" the license at a time, but when the software is closed, the license is then freed up for a different user to access. The details are covered here: http://literature.ro...fa017_-en-p.pdf Edited by OkiePC
1 person likes this

A "standard" activation is also called "node locked". Concurrent has always been called "concurrent". With a node locked activation, the license is only good for one DEVICE. It is "locked" to one of three things: 1. The serial number of the hard drive on a PC. 2. The MAC address of a network card on a PC. 3. The serial number inside a special USB key that Rockwell sells. The license is useless unless the license software detects one of those three things present on a PC to run. A "concurrent" license is more flexible. All the above rules apply. However, typically you load the license on a server. If it's node locked, then the server won't share the license. If it's concurrent, you can do two more things with it: 1. PC's running the client FTA software can connect to the server. The license file becomes "first-come, first-served". So you could install your Rockwell software on every machine in your network and share a pool of licenses. 2. You can "borrow" the license. This temporarily moves the license onto the client so that you can "take it home", and then return it later. All licenses have a time limit on the "borrow" time. When the time expires, the license deactivates on the client and reappears on the server...you can't permanently borrow a license. In practice if you have a lot of standalone PC's (laptops) and no supporting network, go for the node-locked activations and save a little money. The "USB key" idea is an option but these are prone to getting lost or stolen. If you have a nice network where your PLC's, PC's, HMI's, etc., all live already, then the concurrent licenses make all the sense in the world.
1 person likes this