Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Paul Keizer

Transfer To/From PT over Ethernet

10 posts in this topic

I have 1 PLC and an NS-8 HMI on an Ethernet network. They are all connected by a switch. The switch is connected to a router. The ip adress of the plc is 192.168.0.251, and of the plc 192.168.0.252. The gateway (port of the router) is 192.168.0.100. From the location where my laptop is the ip adress is 192.168.100.XXX In the plc ip router tabel I added the ip adresses. Communication from the laptop with cx-programmer to the plc is no problem. (when i ping the ip adress 192.168.0.251 i get answer) Only communication from the laptop with cx-designer to the HMI is not working. (when i ping the ip adres 192.168.0.252 i get also answer) So it looks like the lines are fine, but i think the settings in cx-designer should be different. Can anyone tell me how to do this? Thanks.

You need to put each node on the 192.168.100.xxx network into the conversion table in CX-Designer. Unfortunately, the NS HMIs cannot do DHCP type address allocation(labelled as Auto (dynamic) in the PLC). For instance, if you wanted to connect to the HMI from 192.168.100.50, the settings might look like this:

Ok i will try this, but i forgot to mention that the connection is made thru vpn connection. Don't know if this changes anything?

I guess with a direct VPN you should still enter the laptop IP in the IP adress conversion table in NS, except if it connects through a different gateway. Have you tried adding the local routers IP in the address conversion table?

Ok i will put them both in the conversion table, but i already have the routers ip adres as gateway adres. And when i am pinging i'm getting an answer, so it's strange i think.

Another thing to try is this: at CX-Designer Transfer settings, where you set destination IP, uncheck "Auto detect" and at workstation ID, fill in the last octect of your laptops IP address. Sometimes CX-Designer auto detects a secondary Ethernet adapter on your laptop to use for download. So it will connect to the screen (using some kind of telnet connection I believe) but it will not download data for which FINS protocol is used. To avoid this from happening another thing I always do by default (for XP this goes as following): Go to Control Panel > Network Connections > Advanced menu > Advanced settings. Select Local area connection, and in the below window make sure the adapter you use to connect is placed on top. Now you should be able to leave workstation on auto detect. Hope this helps!
1 person likes this

I attached a drawing of the situation. I also made a printscreen of the settings. But with this settings i don't get it working. Please help :S

I would add Node 251: 192.168.0.251 and node 100:192.168.0.100 to the Conversion table as well. It will also be necessary to define the Ethernet network as Network 1 in the PLC routing table. All that being said, these settings actually need to be in the HMI before the ethernet connection can be made. In other words, you will have to connect to the HMI with USB, or set the communications through the system menu before you are able to connect using ethernet through the VPN connection. Try to get these settings into the HMI first, then you should be able to communicate through the VPN to the HMI. Good luck.

I made HMI settings thru ethernet. I set my laptop ip to 192.168.0.xxx and then connection is no problem. But when i'm connecting thru the router i can't get connection with the screen. I made all settings as you told me. What am i doing wrong? When i made the settings i was directly connected to the hmi by a switch and not thru the router. Edited by Paul Keizer

The solution was indeed to put in my laptops ip adres in the table of the screen. Only i was hoping this was not necessary when connecting by vpn. Because now you need to have an static ip adres on your laptop. Thanks all for your help