Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Firetubes

Tranfering to and from PLC

7 posts in this topic

Hi, I'm just getting familiar witht the CX-Programmer software so bare with me on this. Am I correct to say that when I transfer the program to the PLC, only the logic and other configurations are downloaded but not the memory? I would have to use the PLC Memory Data Monifor to download and upload the values? Does the Data Monitor saves to and reads from the cpx file?

There are two methods you can use to configure specific data memory areas:- 1:- During the first scan write hard coded ladder logic to move desired values to memory areas using the MOV or MOVL instuctions. In this case you only need to download the program to the PLC, on power up all values are written. 2.:-While online, manually modify data memory areas to desired values and save to a *.mem file using the PLC Memory utility. Using this method you would first download the PLC program and then transfer the *.mem file. Personally I prefer the first method.

Depending on the version of CX Programmer, you may be able to choose 'Save in Project...'. From the PLC Memory window, choose 'Transfer from PLC' for each memory type you choose to save then choose 'Save in Project...'. I'm not sure which CX version this option began.

Thanks, I did see that. Would be nice to see and change the values in the ladder offline.

You can in the Memory window only. You must be referring to the manner in which Rockwell shows their ladder offline. You wish Omron would show offline values just as I wish Rockwell would not. It has its advantages but causes confusion to me sometimes when working online then getting kicked offline for whatever reason. To the Rockwell guys: Don't tell me you've never done that.

I think it pretty easy to see if you're online or offline in AB's. Just curious, doens't most other major brands show their values offline? It's kind of annoying when you try to read the code offline and have to switch back and forth to the memory window to see what value an address is. Hard coding them in is not a good idea when you have hundreds of setpoints and recipes that are changeable at the HMI.

I use and like both Omron and Rockwell software. There are differences that can be argued all day long. I will only add that if you want to change offline values then see how that affects another value in an address.... that will not happen in Omron or Rockwell programming software. You'll need to use a simulator. CX Programmer has one built in.