Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Marcos Netto

Communication IHM OMRON PLC ROCKWELL

6 posts in this topic

Hello, I Have a Slc 5/01 from allen Bradley and I want it to communicate with a IHM Omron NS5. The problem is the Slc 5/01 communicates in Rs-485. Meanwhile the NS5 communicates in Rs-232. How can I do to communicate them/?

What are you trying to pass back and forth? It may be overkill depending on what you are doing but I like to use Red Lion's Data Station for this. If you happen to need a touchscreen then the data bridging feature is built into many of their great screens also

The 5/01 speaks DH485 (not RS-485) so you will certainly need some sort of protocol converter. I agree with TWControls that the Red Lion G3 or data station is a very powerful and capable solution, however, I don't believe they have (yet) a driver which supports the Allen Bradley SLC 5/01 and 5/02: http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=57286&highlight=red+lion+5%2F02

You are right, I had forgotten about that...but I think I remember someone had found a work around for it. Let me see if I can get a hold of them

I think the problem is going to be on the 5/01 end. I don't think it's modbus capable and it can't request data. Only receive and reply on a DH485 (I think) network If the Omron is modbus capable then perhaps with some work you could set the DSPlus up as a DH485 master and poll the 5/01, storing the results in tags, and then set the Omron up as a Modbus master or slave and read registers from another port on the Red Lion.

Do Prosoft make anything that could be used?