Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pulsar2003

SLC500 and Visual Studio/Basic

28 posts in this topic

Late Sunday evening I had time to carry on with the test for this project. I have good news... First I followed your instructions and tried to PING the ML1100. Didn't work. Then I changed the Old Computer's IP address. In the network topic in the configuration panel. It was set to automatically obtain the IP address. I changed it to: 192.168.100.2 and tired the same procedures and was successful...(I will translate, it may not be the exact translation) PING on 192.168.100.90: Octets=32 time= 5ms TTL=128 192.168.100.90: Octets=32 time= 1ms TTL=128 192.168.100.90: Octets=32 time= 2ms TTL=128 192.168.100.90: Octets=32 time<1ms TTL=128 Stats ping for 192.168.100.90 Packs: sent=4 received=4 lost=0(lost 0%) Approximate time min= 0ms, Max =5ms, mean=2ms After I started RXlinx and and opened up the Who Active. The Ethernet driver was there and there is still the yellow question mark over the IP address. The device is not recognized. I did update RSLinx from 2.3 to 2.57... I opened up RSLogix and used again Who Active Go Online with the communication tool. I now have the PC and PLC communicating via the Ethernet port. It's done via the hub I do not have the cross wire, I should try it too. On the side of the ML1100 I can see the green lite(led) is lit while the orange on blinks constantly. Finally I made it. I got to tell you that I was about to go nuts about that one. It's the third octet that does not match. Does your DHCP server (I.T. Department at work) issue addresses which always have "1" as the third octet? I now certain of that. We have an external company that does that as we are a small enterprise. There should be fees if we ask questions. I could use the same procedure to find out the IP address of different computers I would recommend checking with them to make sure it's okay to use that for a PLC IP address. I am fairly new with ethernet so, I don't want to suggest IP addresses that break something on your work network. Your IT department should be able to tell you what addresses to use for the PLC and RSLinx driver (PC NIC IPconfig), but it's likely they will have "1" as the third octet. What I did is a mapped what was already done for one of our machines, I just changed the last octet (the other has: 192.168.100.99). Now, if you're isolated from the IT network and want to test your cables / PC IP and port and the PLC IP config and port, then set them all up with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, and IP addresses of 192.168.1.x and 192.168.1.y, where 1<x<>y<254...addresses like 0, 1, and 254 may be illegal or reserved. If connected to a larger network, before you change any of the IP addresses, ping the addresses you want to use to make sure nothing replies so you don't create a duplicate IP address. A duplicate IP address can wreak all sorts of havoc, or cause very few symptoms at all, so avoid duplicates ahead of time. Thanks for those tips. That hex code is called the MAC ID. It is for the most part, an unchanged number that identifies the mfg and uniqueness of each ethernet device. In the background the MAC ID is used by various services but you needn't worry about the MAC IDs for what you're doing. Got that!!! Edited by Pulsar2003

Wow - this topic jumps around a lot! Did you get your networking question answered? I replied to your other post on the Inductive Automation Forum here.

Hello Nathan, I smilled when I saw your reply here... Two Nathan. I made the link. At least I got that right away without any support from a forum!!! Yes I have. I appreciate it. At least now I got RSLinx and RSLogix to communicate with the ML1100. I was worried that Ignition could not communicate with the PLC also. I will experiment shortly as I almost finished the programming of the PLC. You work for Inductive Automation? Thank you.