Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
waterboy

Set ML1400 LCD custom display?

16 posts in this topic

I have a User Display programmed into an ML1400 that I want display upon power up. I can get it to display by using the menu but I want to force the display using the logic. I still would like to be able to exit it to look at the other menu options. I see the LCD:0/SCD which at first glance looks like it, but that is a read only bit. Is there a writeable bit for this function ?

No ideas on this issue?

You are right on it, but where do you see that the SCD bit is read only?

Right here. And the issue that it doesnt work.

I haven't found a way to force it. It appears that you always have to select the user menu to get to it. I've only ever used the user menu for "setup" type things since with 3 buttons and you have to open the panel to access it, it's really limited in what you can do with it. The lowest end Panelview is under $200, and you can buy reasonable panels from B&B Electronics (www.bb-elec.com) or Omega (www.omega.com). Omega by the way sells the very, very nice Red Lion Gxxx series which blow away AB Panelviews and Panelview Plus's in terms of capabilities and ease of use.

OK at least its wasn't something I had fouled up. I don't really "need" it, but it was nice for error and status messages on remote sites that don't warrant a PV.

Well at least I thought I had done it...maybe we just tried to do it

I don't own a 1400, but I do own an 1100, but I imagine this should be true for both controllers: the SCD value is read only from the program. That is, you cannot set the bit from within the ladder logic. You can, I believe, set the bit from the controller's function file before you download the program to the controller. This should force the controller to start with the customized display every time the controller enters RUN mode until you manually clear the bit from the function file. It has been a long time since I had to do this, but I am pretty sure that this should work.

I have done that You set it in the Function file. To get out of the display you press ESC for 3 seconds. Been 2 years or so but I think that is correct.

OK then. That never occurred to me. It does explain why the docs say that it is both writable and read-only. Thanks for that.

Any updates from anyone? The project I "thought" I did this on isn't locally accessible to me. I'd like to know for future reference Thanks TW

I am on that project today, I'll let you know what I find.

Any updates?

Give me a little time today and I will post what I did. I have done custom screen startups on the 1100.

OK in the Function Files under Controller in the project tree. Select the LCD tab. Use the CBS to indicate the STRING location that you want to display at startup. The put a 1 in the SCD. If you are using the LCD insruction in the program the startup screen is just about like a windows boot screen just there for a second or so. Then it is gone. Warning I did look at the program I wrote 2 years ago. I am 95% sure the above info will get you where you want to be.

Yes, I verified that setting that bit in the function file will bring up the User Display (not a "Custom Screen" as I have unintentially stated) on powerup. But you can't toggle it from the code. Nor can you toggle the backlight bit via code.