Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Daryl

RSView32 Developing Question

6 posts in this topic

Should I use the same PC for developing/editing RSView32 projects as I do for running them? I'm trying to justify buying a second copy for developing projects off-site instead of on-site. thanks... Daryl

I like to have both options open. I have my license for RSV32 Works for developing the application on traveling media like a USB drive or a floppy disk. When I install RSV on the PC that will run the application, I always choose to install RSV Works instead of just Runtime. This allows me to develop the application on the machine that will ultimately run it, but it also allows Runtime to run if the license is present. When I am finished with the app, I will then remove my "portable" Works license and use the Runtime license I purchased for the application. Once the system is properly backed up, I can remotely modify the application if necessary. This way, I have a choice of where I edit the application.

Thanks for the quick reply. Do you recommend that it's a good idea to use the licenses more dynamically, ie, move them to whichever PC I'm developing from giving more flexibility, but without having to purchase more licenses? If so, this would certainly solve an issue for me and would mean I wouldn't be spending more money of extra licenses, and therefore, don't have to attempt to justify that extra cost. thanks... Daryl

Daryl: Yes, purchase 1 Works license for you and move it dynamically as you develop each project. Then purchase a Runtime license for each machine that will be running an application in RSV32. This significantly reduces your costs. Just don't forget to remove your Works license when your project is complete!

Thanks again, and just one last query on this subject. Is there anything 'wrong' with doing this? I work in a very heavily regulated industry and need to make sure I don't breach any rules or regulations by doing this. Is it just a clever way of utilising my licenses? thanks... Daryl

It is an approved method. The key to the licenses is that only one can be used at a time. As a developer, you are entitled to use your development license (Works) on the unit you are developing the application on. Once development is complete, you use your license elsewhere. You are still required to have a license on the Runtime PC, so the only one being moved is the Works license. Rockwell has a good handle on how their licenses are issued, especially now that the Master Disks are no longer made for new purchases.