Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bob O

Computer Lab

9 posts in this topic

I want to set-up my own computer lab for my own training in networking and software install since we/I seen to be getting more involved in it. Has anyone purchase used computers and if so could you recommend a company? I would like to have a total of three computers if possible. Thanks

Cant help you with the computers bit as im in the uk BUT can give a tip or two Once your pc is installed XP, Vista, 7 etc and up to speed, use disk imaging or spare disks for easy swop out backups Try CloneZilla its linux based boots from cd or usb and is a million times better than ghost and all those other wonderful windows bits of software !!! Another thing is use VMWare virtual machines on the installed operating system My 2 penneth

There is a company called eBay that has everything, some of it is priced pretty good.

I just got a refurbished Dell Optiplex 745 with Windows XP Pro for use as a lab computer. Box, keyboard, mouse (no monitor) for about $150 from Recoup IT. It had the added benefit of being local to me, so I could pick it up and save shipping. The company recycles used computer equipment from businesses. The computer I got was professionally packaged in a Dell Refurbished box, and was in almost new condition.

Thanks to all that have replied. My goal is three computers with two acting as servers and exchanging data and one client with access to both with access to all through a KVM. I normally work wit RA products so that is my target software to test with since I have a problem breaking the install and it seems that I have to be an IT person to complete some installs. I am not knocking the RA software just looking to improve knowledge. I would at sometime like to work with the open source and VM software but right now customers aren't using it in production for the most part. Russ – I am an odd person in that I don't use ebay but your post did make me think of looking on CL for local used computers. Thanks again and sorry it took so long to reply.

Keep us posted on how things develop Bob. BTW - Sun Virtualbox is considered Open Source and Free for experimentation and from what little I've heard has a good track record with AB Software.

Well my lab is coming along really well. I am up to four computer all networked together and things are working well. Pick-up a new 1.5 TB HD for my main one and am now getting all my software loaded on to it. Also, I picked up my 3 Dell computers on Craigs List that had been reloaded with XP Pro still with the stickers for $50 each and $10 for a flat screen. Can anyone recommend a free easy to use virtual floppy drive? I found one and am using it but would be interested in what others point me to. Thanks,

What do you mean by a virtual floppy drive? I have never heard of such a thing.

http://www.allscoop.com/virtual-floppy-drive.php Here is the one I am using