Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bob A.

Wiring 1762-IQ32T Input Modules

11 posts in this topic

Hi Guys, I'm looking for guidance on how to get 40 conductors onto the plug that attaches to these modules. From the manual, it appears that the crimp on (and solder on) terminals are provided, but there is not even a vague idea of what cable to buy. All that is given is a size range of 22 - 26 AWG. Anyone have an opportunity to deal with this situaion yet? It would be neater to get a 40 conductor control cable but I'm thinking that is probably wishful thinking. When I search for 40 conductor cables, I get harddrive ribbon cable hits. Any ideas appreciated greatly! Best Regards, Bob A.

Per the manual on your 1762-IQ32T see link below http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/in/1746-in025_-en-p.pdf

The connection is shipped as such to facilitate the use of multiple cables or a single cable with the proper size conductors. This gives the end user many more options than requiring a specific cable to accomplish this interconnection.

Out engineering group did a job with a bunch of the "breakout units" last year. Be aware there was one module {senior moment I don't recall which except it was a 120 VAC unit} where the drawing in the manual was off by 1 pin location.

I'm not familiar with the 1762 modules, but have you considered using the A-B Bulletin 1492 wiring system. They don't list cables for the 1762 modules specifically, but the 1492-CABLE***N3 may work. It is intended for the 1769-IQ32T, but it seems to use the same connector and have the same pinout as the 1762-IQ32T.

We have found the high-density I/O cards with breakout boards and quick-disconnect wiring swingarms to be a great idea but the panel builders comment that the small terminal blocks are difficult to land leads quickly. The panel build hours reflect that our technicians require more time to wire up high-density breakout boards compared to 16-point I/O cards wired directly to termination blocks. I have experimented with raised and angled DIN rails for the breakout boards, but the savings just don't come through with hardware and labor costs. Has anyone come up with a good fit to utilize the reduced space/hardware advantages of high-density I/O cards while also making the physical wiring aspects productive for the panel builders?

Thanks for all the replies! As a result, I have tracked down info on the 1746-N3 and following that, I discovered that there is a Crimp Tool by Amp or Tyco Model Number 90418-1. Since I have 128 crimps to make, I think that a tool would be great to have. If anyone has a line on this tool, Please let me know. Searching on line, it seems that this tool is considered obselete by some. I also found references to $600 prices in the past, but also a eBay reference to $69. The quest continues... Best Regards, Bob A.

High density IO rarely pays off in terms of space economy. Unless you are THAT tight on space or you need an absurd amount of IO with limited rack space (not really an issue with most processors these days), it's usually not worth it. However, even with 1756 IO, trying to wire anything up to it is a pain. I've switched over pretty much 100% to using IFM's everywhere. My system integrators first balked at the "cost" and then found the same things I did...that you eliminate the IO terminals and fuse blocks and integrate those right into the IFM's. The PLC just has connectors on it and then the IFM's take the place of where terminal blocks traditionally went. There is one major downside: quality. Right now I'm doing wholesale replacements of aging (1960's vintage) discrete controls with PLC-based equivalents, with roughly 20 IFM's per replacement. I'm seeing roughly 5% of the IFM's are coming with faulty wire from the factory (AB). I haven't tried to track it but about 75% of the problems are bad wiring. The remaining 25% are due to faulty components. I'm not sure just yet whether this is an impediment or not. The amount of wiring done in the panel shop is cut down drastically since they aren't wiring PLC->terminal block now, and it seems like the number of errors discovered on IO checkout are roughly the same. So it seems like mostly I'm just swapping "local boys" for "AB" in terms of mistakes in wiring. I guess I just expect better whenever I pay top dollar to have the letters AB plastered on a component.

Paul, Do I understand that you are seeing faulty equipment from the factory ? I have 4 1762 modules to go into pair of ML1100s (an in and an out for each). Maybe I should be testing these modules offline beforehand! This project is primarily a hydraulic upsize activity and the client is out of money. He is aware that the 32 bit scheme is a last resort and that we may very well have to do a follow-on activity to upsize the automation. Right now, he very much needs to get some of the product into the pipeline and the faster hydraulics will accomplish that. All I have to do is squeeze a little more performance out of the PLCs. He knows that I am in a position that I would not choose and he asked me to play out the hand for a bit longer. I registerd my objections and decided to be a team player. I'm doing the loop drawings now and preparing to begin the pre-outage installations on Tuesday. I'll keep you all posted. Bob A.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is an IFM? Greg

"IFM" ( Interface Module) See link below for more info. http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/intradoc-cgi/nph-idc_cgi.exe?IdcService=GET_SEARCH_RESULTS&QueryText=%28dWebExtension+%3CMATCHES%3E+%27pdf%27+%3Cand%3E+%28%3Cnot%3E+xViewableFile+%3CMATCHES%3E+%27No%27+%3Cor%3E+xViewableFile+%3CMATCHES%3E+%27%27%29+%3Cand%3E+%3Cnot%3E+xReleaseToFlag+%3CMATCHES%3E+%27Restricted%27+%3Cand%3E+dSecurityGroup+%3CMATCHES%3E+%27Literature%27+%3Cand%3E+%3Cnot%3E+xBrand+%3CMATCHES%3E+%27Other%27%29+%3CAND%3E+%28xLanguage+%3CSUBSTRING%3E+%60EN+-+English%60+%3COR%3E+xLanguage+%3CSUBSTRING%3E+%60MU+-+Multi+Lingual%60%29+%3CAND%3E+%28%3CACCRUE%3E+%281492%29+%3COR%3E+dDocTitle+%3CSUBSTRING%3E+%601492%60+%3COR%3E+xPublicationNumber+%3CSUBSTRING%3E+%601492%60+%3COR%3E+xLegacyPubNumber+%3CSUBSTRING%3E+%601492%60+%3COR%3E+xCatalog_Numbers+%3CSUBSTRING%3E+%601492%60%29&DefaultQuery=&urlTemplate=%2Fidc%2Fgroups%2Fpublic%2Fdocuments%2Fwebassets%2Fsearch_results.hcst&ftx=1&SortField=SCORE&SortOrder=Desc&SortSpec=SCORE+Desc+dDocTitle+Asc&passedLangVal=EN+-+English&prepopVal=1492&passedType=Full&passedParameter=1492