CJD

RSLogix 5000 Tag Scope

7 posts in this topic

Hello, Is is possible to change the scope of a tag after it has been created. I cannot edit the Tag scope within the Tag properties window. Is there anywhere else you can do this. Thanks

Create an identically named tag in the desired location, then delete the original.
1 person likes this

Interesting, I have had the odd occasion where I have needed to do this, but never thought of that, even though it makes perfect sense!

Two Methods that I use Offline - Program to Controller Open the Program Tags Find the Tag Select the Row and "Cut" the Tag Open the Controller Tags and Paste Essentially the same as b_Carlton Online Edit the existing Tag Properties , insert "Old_" or "Junk_" or "Delete_" before the tag name eg MyTag -> Delete_MyTag Create the New Tag With the correct scope MyTag Search and edit all occurrences of Delete_MyTag to MyTag Compile Delete the tag Delete_MyTag as it is no longer used

Thanks Michael!!

FYI, for anyone trying to "cut" & "paste" the tags from one scope to another.  To paste the tags, I had to go to the edit tags tab then right click the blank line with the pencil icon at the bottom of the tags to get the paste option to paste them back in.

If you're using version 28 or higher of Studio5000, you can use parameters instead of tags. While you would still have to copy and paste them from one program to another, they are editable online in the run mode, and therefore much more flexible. Instead of scoping a local tag with an alias to an output, I create an output parameter of the data-type BOOL, and give a "connection" to the I/O point. If I ever need to, I can change that connection while online and in the run mode.