Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TheEquineFencer

Allen Bradley MicroLogix 1000, 1761-L32AWA, SER C

6 posts in this topic

Will the new free version of RSLogix™ Micro (Version 8.10) run a Allen Bradley MicroLogix 1000, 1761-L32AWA, SER C ? There's one I'm looking at that's for sale. If it will what else do I need to buy to operate it and connect to it?

While the site says 1000 and 1100 without any qualification my version doesn't reference a series or revision number fro the 1000, just a type. Maybe a call to AB?

As far as I know, it only supports MicroLogix 1000 10-point, and all MicroLogix 1100 - fuzzy logic

Allen-Bradley is notorious for seldom offering anything good for FREE. If they do, it won't last long. A-B is also pricey. You will need a computer with a real DB-9 serial port, or a USB to serial converter, and a Micrologix programming cable (1761-CBL-PM02). Can be purchased from your local A-B distributor. You will need RSLogix500 PLC programming software and RSLinx PLC-PC communication software. Can be purchased from your local A-B distributor. Often-times, the distributor can bundle the cable, software, PLC in a bundle with decent savings. The first time you get online with a new Micrologix PLC, you will have to update its inner firmware (flash the firmware). They typically come out of the box with an early firmware version. A-B has technotes and literature on their website for how to do this. If you buy from a distributor, you can get support from them or A-B through their tech support website. If you are buying this PLC used, there are many advantages to going through a distributor. You will pay more, but the benefits are worth it more times than one (support, support, support). I have purchased many used/refurbished/surplus PLC systems over the years at great discount prices, but my local and manufacturer A-B support has saved my bacon many, many times. The few bucks you save buying used can be piddled away on the customer's first failure at 3am on a holiday when they are rupturing many dollars an hour due to some oversight. You can get the Micrologix manual here... http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1761-um003_-en-p.pdf

I'll offer a couple of clarifications that are specific to the controller you are asking about and the free software for it. Previously there was a Free version of RSLogix 500 that only supported one specific model of controller; the 10-point MicroLogix 1000 controller, part number 1761-L10BXB Series F. The current free edition of "RSLogix 500 Micro Starter Lite" supports all MicroLogix 1000 and 1100 controllers. It does not support any MicroLogix 1200, 1400, or 1500 controllers or any SLC-500 controllers. MicroLogix 1000 controllers do not have upgradeable firmware. The operating system of these controllers has been unchanged for about ten years. All other models of MicroLogix controller have upgradeable firmware. The common programming cable for the MicroLogix controllers is the 1761-CBL-PM02. Don't try to make your own; the 8-pin plug contains a +24V pin and if you miswire the cable you'll damage your PC's serial port. I understand PLCCables.com sells a version of that cable. I prefer factory-built cables because I'm a factory guy.

Thanks Ken for the clarifications about the supported controllers... I was referring to a PPT presentation of the Lite version stating it only supports the 10 points micro 1000... evidently incorrect ; I've tried right now to start a new RSLogix Micro Lite project and ALL the MX1000 controllers are available to be used. - fuzzy logic