Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
teal854t

rslogix500 evmove to floppy

7 posts in this topic

Hi we have an old laptop with rslogix5 and 500. We like to move activation of rslogix500 to floppy so that it can be loaded to a new laptop which already has rslogix5000 installed. Just want to leave rslogix5 in an old laptop and move the 500 activation out. Whenever we did the evmove, it did both 5 and 500 together. It shows both files on (Source Drive C:).How do select 500 only? Thanks

In the EVMOVE utility window there are two buttons marked 'Edit Selected' and 'Edit All'. These allow you to change the number of activations to be moved. Just set RSLogix 5 to zero and RSLogix 500 to 1 and the EVMOVE process will only move the RSLogix 500 license.

Eeeep... Why move to floppies? Somewhere on the Rockwell site is "EVMOVECF.EXE", which will happily move the EVRSI activations onto and off of a USB thumbdrive.

Because many small shops purchase a limited number of software licenses and the PLC technicians have to share them. With a floppy, the license can be transferred to one computer and the floppy from which the license was transferred can still be used in other machines. Also, many customers still require the PLC program to be provided on a floppy disk as well. That allows both the customer and the vendor to quickly and easily store any program updates without having to burn a new CD. For my shop, almost all of our customers require all programs drawings to be provided on a CD as well as the program to be provided on a floppy disk. Only a few will use USB flash drives. But I'm getting off-topic. My point is that there is still a demand for floppy disk storage. Everyone will be forced to change now, though, since Sony will end production of floppy disks this March. I have no problem with keeping up with the times... but, in the last five years, I've had more USB flash drives fail (ones that were shared, updated frequently, and stored near the PLC) than I've had floppies fail.

Honestly, the 25 Cent No-Brand thumbdrives aren't worth keeping, but a real memory makers drive? I've never had a single failure.

I agree with rdrast completely. There can never be a valid argument that floppy disks are more reliable than USB. Use EVMoveCF. Get your licences off floppy and put on a GOOD BRAND NAME USB (eg Kingston, Sandisk). Or move off USB to your computer without requiring a floppy drive (like anyone has one these days). If you want to pass licences around between different engineers, you can install the licence on a USB, plug it into a computer, and run RSLogix. It will find the licence direct on the USB. It also compies with rockwell licencing. Edited by The Fat Controller