Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Paul Keizer

Programming plc through profibus

20 posts in this topic

Hello, I'm very new at programming siemens, but i'm wondering if it's possible to connect whit step 7 through profibus to the plc. Thanks

Paul, It is absolutely possible. Regards, Behnam www.sigmaprocess.ca/blog

Paul, You need: 1. Step7 software 2. MPI or Profibus cable 3. Siemens PG or CP5512 if you have a laptop or a CP Card if you are using a PC Regards, Behnam www.sigmaprocess.ca

Ok I have this, but how do i make the connection? Regard, Paul

Paul Could you please tell me exactly what you have and what you want to do? Regards, Behnam www.sigmaprocess.ca

What PLC do you have and what ports? To connect via Profibus you need an active DP network with a running Master. If you do not have this then you must connect via the MPI option.

I have an ET200S wich i connect with siemens pg. And a separate dp module (dp master) wich is active and connected to another station. All is active and running at the moment. And when i'm adjusting the machine i'm far away from the plc, and near to a profibus station and i want to see online what happens. Edited by Paul Keizer

Paul, Your ET200S is part of a system which is hooked up to another plc as Master. Let me know why you want to go online with the system? Regards, Behnam www.sigmaprocess.ca

We building a machine wich is about 7 meters high. The hydraulic compartment is in the upper level of the machine. The PLC is at the lower level. When i'm adjusting hydraulic parts i want to know what i'm doing. On this moment someone needs to be at the lower level to tell me what way to adjust. In the hydraulic compartment is a profibus station, which i want to connect to and read the values in the plc. Attached the hardware configuration Regards Paul

Paul In this case, You need to monitor the plc inputs. For monitoring plc inputs: 1. You create a VAT table 2. Add your inputs to the table 3. Monitor the inputs Regards, Behnam www.sigmaprocess.ca/blog

Ok but how do i connect to the profibus station at upper level with my laptop and then connect to the plc at the lower level? Regards Paul

Paul, You can use the PG port on the profibus connector on the ET200S, if there is any. If not, you can either replace it with one or use a linger MPI cable to reach the main cpu. Regards, Behnam www.sigmaproess.ca/blog

You need piggy back style Profibus plugs so you can connect your Profibus programming lead to the network. Such as http://www.plccenter.com/buy/PROFIBUS/PA9D0142

I think you understand my problem. And piggy back style, does that mean that you have male and female connection on 1 connector? Because i have this. But how do i connect the profibusport to the mpi port? Do i do this just with a male to male cable?

If you have the piggy back connectors, then you need a laptop with Step 7 and a programming lead, such as https://eb.automation.siemens.com/goos/catalog/Pages/ProductData.aspx?nodeid=10043056&catalogRegion=CA&language=en&regionUrl=%2fca#activetab=order& to connect your laptop to the piggy back connector. Your PG/PC interface needs to be set for PC Adaptor Profibus and then ensure your transmission rate is set to the same as the network.

Paul, You need mpi cable which has male connectors on both sides. Regards, Behnam www.sigmaprocess.ca

He certainly does not want to do that!!!! I missed the OP's question 'But how do i connect the profibusport to the mpi port? Do i do this just with a male to male cable? ' The anwer is no no no, MPI and Profibus cannot be combined on one network, the network will fail. To connect to the PLC from the other stations on the network. 1. Laptop with Step 7 2. Programming lead (USB to Profibus as linked above) to connect from the laptops USB port to the Profibus network. 3. The Profibus plugs used on the network (purple cable) must be a piggy back style (at least the point where you want to connect is). 4. Connect the programming lead into the piggy back plug (which itself is connected into the remote station). 5. Ensure the PC/PG Interface on the laptop (within Step 7) is set for PC Adaptor Profibus and the transmission speed is as per the speed set in the Master PLC hardware profile. You should now be able to connect into the PLC. MPI is not needed!!!!!!!!!!!!! The piggy back plugs are made to give access to the network for a programming device. As a norm, I would use the piggy back plugs everywhere rather than the standard ones as I never know when I may need access at any point. Edited by Groo

Hello, Sorry for the late sesponse. But i tried all points you discribed above but without succes. Also what bothers me is that when i connect the pg to the mpi port its powering up (mpi,power,usb led on the pg burning), but when i connect to profibus it isn't. It is the same pg as linked above (USB-MPI) Anybody know what i'm doing wrong?

Forgive the thread necromancy, but did you try turning on the terminator on your tester, and turning off the terminator on the pg port you plugged onto? (And what happened from October to June? )