Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bowhunter2000

problems instaling Windows XP pro SP2

7 posts in this topic

HI: I got this lap top (gateway mx6955)from mi brohter, is runing a ubuntu OS so I try to install a windows XP profesional SP 2 and I got a message that no hard drive is detected and I got no idea on how to fix this problem whent i go to explore the PC I can see a file sistem folder in stead of C: what I can do to install Windows?

ubuntu is a flavor of linux - you've a couple of options. 1. You should be able to boot from the windows CD and overwrite the entire hard drive and install windows. A. If this is failing visit bios and make sure the CD is set to boot first. B. I believe that ubuntu uses the shift key when held during boot to force the appearance of a startup menu which might also allow you to select boot from CD. 2. You could take a week and learn ubuntu linux and then install some flavor of VirtualBox into ubuntu and install windows into the virtual machine. I doubt you want to go thuis route, but several of us board users here play with linux for a hobby and could help if asked. The linux online communities also help greatly.

Tnks for the replay I can boot from CD and windows start to install but went I get to the screen where I should select to repair or install I select to install and after this I got a message that no HDD is detected

I've not seen this problem and I've gone from ubuntu to XP to Fedora to Centos to XP on one of my test machines multiple times. Now that said, Linux does use the MBR {Master Boot Record} of the hard drive in a slightly different way than Windows. YOu might try the repair option first , let it correct what it thinks is wrong with the MBR and then try installing. Only problem with this approach is once Windows fixes the MBR , ubuntu won't be bootable.

What are you using to install Windows? An upgrade disk won't work, you need a full install disk, either the original disk that came with the HP or a new license.

Take the hard drive out, put it in an external USB box (or use a USB to IDE cable, www.tigerdirect.com sells them cheap). Then attach that drive to another computer and using the disk manager in the Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Computer Mangement, delete all partitions on the drive. Then try to install Windows. Without any partitions on the drive, it should install clean and create one. But the Linux partitions will come up as unknown in Windows. Or you can just get a new larger hard drive fairly cheap.

Thanks for the replays at this point I order a new larger hard drive