Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
johnyp

TSX17 Software

34 posts in this topic

Hello to all. I am new in plc world and i want to know how can i read & programm a tsx17 plc unit. I installed the dos software in an old laptop and the xtel6.1 suite in an os2 emulator. I made the interface rs232 to rs485 using max485 and now my problem is that in xtel i need username & password. All theese to help a friend of mine which his plc doesn't run anymore but only flashing red led. I will try to communicate with the unit but what is the username and the password for xtel suite ? I downloaded the OS2_XTEL_PL72_Full archive from net. Thank you Edited by johnyp

The software for TSX17 was DOS based. You should not need the software you show above. The OS/2 based software was required for TSX27/47/68/87
1 person likes this

I do have the dos based software and installed it allready with success. I also made the converter with max485. Do i need to know anything else before i try to read the unit ? RS485_to_RS232_Converter_Schematic.pdf

Hi, Password and username are "xtel". You can use XTEL under OS/2 for TSX 17 only if you have PL7-2 software installed. JC Edited by acpi

Indeed the password was xtel but i didn't find any function to connect to the unit. I will try with dos based software. Thank you all. I will get back to you with my results. Thank you again.

Open PL7-2 then press F1 to enter online mode. JC

I have a problem connecting to the unit, i always get 'driver initialization error' here is my dos configuration in virtual pc. Maybe i should go with real dos ?

Ok now i installed PL72 in a dos machine. Are other settings ok? Also does anyone knows if adaptor circuit works? Thank you

Hi, It seems your driver is well installed as you get a success message, so if you still get an error as you're trying to connnect the plc it certainly means that you RS232/RS485 adaptor is not correctly wired. Anyway did you have a backup of the plc program ? because the blinking led probably means that the program is lost in the plc... JC

My friend Sparky no i don't have the unit's program but the unit has eprom module addon so i want to believe that program is there. Anyway do you know that adaptor schema is ok? I made a pcb for it so it is wired ok. If i connect successfully is there any way to diagnose the unit and find what is wrong or am i loosing my time? To the unit i connected the GND, Data(A) , Data(B) and got the VCC wires.

You can find a schema of the adaptor here : http://www.isartec.com/fiches_tech/pc_tsx17.html There's no diagnostic tool in PL7-2 but usually the leds can give a good idea of the problem. Give me the exact state of the plc's leds and I'll tell you what it means. JC

The interface is the one i posted with max485 & rs232.What about pin12 for ascii data ? Should it be closed or open ?

As you're in Unitelway this pin should be open. JC

Leds 0,2,3,4,6,12 are on. Led run is flashing. I will try to go online later today. Thanks for your interest.

If the run led is flashing that means the plc is in stop mode. How are the "cpu prog" and "I/O mem" led ? JC

You mean the top 3 leds. all off except from run led that flashes Edited by johnyp

Hi, You have four Leds of the right side of the plc, from top to bottom there's RUN/STOP, CPU/PROG, IO/MEM and BATT. The last one tells you if the plc's battery is good or not. The other Leds indicates the plc's state. If you only have the RUN/STOP led that is blinking that means the plc is in stop mode but the program isn't lost. With a TSX17 you had the possibilty to configure the first input (I0,0) as a STOP/RUN condition. I don't remember if the input shoud be on or off to stop the plc but you can try to play with it. If the input is configured as a normal input the only solution is to connect the plc. JC

Yes i am sure that he only led that is blinking is RUN/STOP. I think all other leds are off. Now that i installed software in plain dos i will try to connect again. Thank you very much. I will post my results later. BTW do you know that if the adapter i made and posted the circuit is correct? Thank you again.

Again i did not manage to connect to plc but i found out how to reset it! I did it and now i have two leds blinking RUN/STOP & IO/MEM. This has for sure to do with some shortcircuit to an input or an output. But why can't i connect to plc unit... Does anyone has any circuit with max485 to build? Thank you

I don't know what you've done to perform what you call a "reset" but if the MEM led is blinking now, that could means you have lost the program. I already gave you the schema of the factory cable, now you just need a standard RS232/RS485 converter that can be found everywhere. Another solution is to buy the Telemecanique dedicated cable, the reference is TSX 17 ACC PC. This cable is not sold anymore by Schneider but it can be found sometimes on Ebay or specialized websites. JC

I removed battery, turn off ac, removed software eprom, removed eeprom & shortcircuited pin 1,2 from eeprom. I inserted it all again and powered up the unit. This is hard reset action. A tech from the schneider told me so. Anyway a blinking io led means shortcircuit to an input or to an output he told me. What i can not get is why i can not connect to plc though i made the rs485 to rs232 converter ! Any ideas about that ? I mean any other circuit ? Or maybe you can look at my circuit for any errors. Thank you

I just hope for you that you the program in RAM had been saved in the eeprom otherwise all you have now is a blanck plc... For the converter I won't be very helpful cause I'm a plc programmer not an electronician so I'am not able to tell you what could be wrong. JC

I doubt anyone here has tried to use the exact RS485 converter you mention to this PLC. Keep in mind there is a reason manufacturers supply cables. That is so they are known to be 100% compatible. Making your own is always a 50/50 shot will it work or not. The amount of time you have spent making your own cable and trying to make it work, if your time has a value, would have been better spent trying to acquire an original cable or someone who can get online with that legacy product.

Hi Don't know if this is still active but thought I'd throw my two pence in.... You never mentioned what type of TSX17 it is eg TSX17-10 or TSX17-20?? If using a TSX17-10 or a TSX17-20 without a language cartridge you must use PL7-1. PL7-2 is only for TSX17-20 with a language cartridge. Other than that everyhting else that the other members have said should work. It may be worth looking for a proper cable but I know I have made up cables in the past and they have worked. I will see if I can come across a known cable makeup.

I m using TSX 17 PLC. I need PL7-2 software, then Ihave downloaded it from internet. But I can not install it on a Win98 computer because it show error251, "user interface installed incorrectly". Can someone share this installation software?? I have PL7-2_1 & PL7-2_2.