Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mr.lemonnier

barcode reader to PLC

7 posts in this topic

Hello, I need to connect a barcode reading/decoding system with a Allen-Bradley L23E automate. I want to know the easiest and cheapest way to do so. I know I could use Microscan technology (Qx-830 via Ethernet communication) but its very expensive. I've heard about the Presence PLUS P4 BCR camera from Banner Engineering that could do the same job for less expensive. I believe too I could use any USB device, but would need to pass by a server and Excel to decode my signal and than transmit it to the PLC, but I've got no experience in Excel programmation. Thanks for your advice/solution. Edited by Mr.lemonnier

If you want to keep your hardware simple I'd look at SICK, ACCUSORT, Banner or AB scanners that speak Allen Bradley Ethernet and use the L32E ethernet port. As a second plan "B" option you could use a serial port scanner and a 1734-asc module attached to a 1734-enbt module and write programming in the L23E to send and receive data from the serial port.
1 person likes this

Symbol/Motorola has a super-cheap barcode scanner that integrates easily into an Allen-Bradley PLC via serial (Symbol #LS2208). The model I just finished integrating needs a 120VAC outlet to power the scanner, and plugs directly into the processor DF1 port.

I have used Sick barcode scanners with DeviceNet

Sparky - We use the Sick Barcode Scanners with the compact logic L32's all the time. My advice is to stay away from Ethernet - use serial. I would be happy to share some code to show you how we read the serial port. I'm not happy with any Ethernet Barcode scanner because I must deal with IT people to get the infrastructure set up, and there is very little gain (if any) in speed when you consider the RPI rate is usually set to 20 Milliseconds on the Ethernet card.
1 person likes this

i used this before Edited by cindy313