Morten AA

Questions about CJ2M EIP

22 posts in this topic

Hi Maybe these questions have been up here before, but I still have some basic issues about something As I understand it there is Explicit messaging and datalink ways of transfering data on the EIP21, or is this the same thing? If not, when should you use what type I have looked at the tutorial in the download section about setting up an Omron and an AB, the same example is ok for 2 CJ2M aswell? When you use this tutorial, is the data automaticly polled, or do you have to make send/recv/cmnd instructions in your code? Regards Morten Denmark Edited by Morten AA

Morten There are 2 ways to transfer data on EtherNet/IP: Explicit Messaging and Implicit Messaging (Omron calls this Datalink). When possible, Implicit Messaging is best, as it requires no ladder code. The links between devices are setup using the Network Configurator for EtherNet/IP. The AB to Omron Implicit Messaging works just the same on a Cj2M as any other CS or CJ PLC with an EIP21 module. The interval of the data transmission is setup by the RPI (Requested Packet Interval). Here are some scenarios when I have used Explicit Messaging from an Omron PLC, just to give you an idea. 1. Bar Code reader that does not support Implicit Messaging (MicroScan) 2. AB PLC (SLC500, MicroLogix 1400) that does not support Implicit Messaging 3. AB PLC that is password protected by the OEM, but they expose data by Explicit Messaging 4. Vision system to access functions not accessible via Implicit Messaging (changing programs on a Cognex Insight system) Edited by PMCR
1 person likes this

Hi PMCR Now i get it Implicit is the way to go then, when it's possible. That explains why I don't need any code to connect an NS panel using Ethernet/IP
1 person likes this

Morten Yes, Implicit is the way to go, when possible. In the case of the NS, Explicit Messaging is used, but the NS sends the Explicit Messages to read / write PLC memory, so no code is needed in the PLC to do this.

PMCR I thought that the variables in the PLC had to be a produced type when another control ie. NS had to read it with Ethernet/IP. But that is not the case then. It's great that Omron has gone this way, makes it lot more easy to implement all sorts of equipment, except Siemens, they always go another way

Hello.. Have you tested Omron EIP with microscan barcode reader? If you have done it before using explicit messaging, can I know what is the service code, class ID, is it using UCMM?

Attached is the Explicit Messaging code that I have successfully used for MicroScan QX-830 readers, along with the .esp Microscan setup files. There are 2 solutions, 1 for continuious reading, 1 for triggered reading. The Excel file details the Explicit Message commands, including Class, Instance, Attribute, etc. Essentially, the messaging is embedding serial commands in an EtherNet/IP packet. The newer 2D QX Hawk has EtherNet/IP Implicit Messaging capabilities, but MicroScan claims they do not have a .eds file for the device. This technically makes it non EtherNet/IP compliant. The attached code was written for a CJ2H PLC, but can be easily transported to CS1, CJ1, CJ2M,or CP1H. Yes, it is using UCMM. Microscan QX830 EIP Explicit Messaging.zip

1 person likes this

Hi.. Thanks for sharing your program. Currently I'm trying to connect with Microsan barcode reader model "MS-4 imager". This is a serial type. So microscan has serial to ethernet/ip converter. Have you tried it before? http://files.microscan.com/helpfiles/qx870_help_file/qx-870_help-7-138.html I followed the service code and class id from the example that you have provided. There is error. 1) Can I check with you. In your program serice code is 52. What does it mean? It is not available in the CIP communication test tool. Pls see attach.I use omron- finsgateway communication test tool to try. 2) Where do I use .esp file? Is it a file to use with microscan configuration tools? Thanks in advance

I have not used the MS-4 Imager before. I have used the QX-Hawk and MS-830. The Service Code 52 is the UCMM Send Service code. This is sent the EIP module on the Omron PLC. The CPU is essentially sending a message to the EIP module with another message wrapped up inside. The service code sent to Microscan is the '45'. The .esp file is the Bar Code Reader setup from MicroScans Easy Setup Program (.esp). This was included as a reference of how I setup the bar code reader. In the image below, I show the message format on the left, and my data on the right. I have circled different parts of the message to show why I used certain data. The part circled in purple (starts '4503' and ends '2000') is what is sent to the MicroScan bar code reader.

Hi PMCR, Can you please guide me how to do explicit messaging between Micrologix 1400 & CJ2 EIP? May I write to ML1400 MSG command and CJ side Ladder also? Or any one side will work? I'm having ML1400 with Ethernet built-in & CJ2M-CPU32 with Ethernet. So Need to do via switch or direct connection will work? Please, advise me. Thank you. Raj

See the sample code here. http://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=934 This is written from the Omron PLC side, using Rockwell PCCC protocol. I have never tried Rockwell CIP messaging to Omron PLCs. The Omron PLC reads and writes the data.
1 person likes this

Hi... Thanks PMCR!! I'll test the same & revert to you.. Thank you again..

Hi PMCR... I've tested the same as per your instructions procedures & Yes!! It works!! Thank you very much for this detail. One more thing I need to ask you is, on the same network, Can I connect 4-5 OMRON FQ2 Camera Controllers for Datalink access? Might be time sharing basis?? I'm trying to access it now by making CJ2-FQ2 direct connection, but will it be possible to connect all in a smae network to share data?

I am very happy to hear that it worked for you. Yes, you can connect multiple (4 or 5 is no problem) cameras to a single CJ2M or CJ2H by EtherNet/IP Tag Datalink. Each connection is independent, and there will not be any speed issues.
1 person likes this

Hi... Thanks a lot... My question is these :All IN THE SAME NETWORK, let me test & revert on it. Thank you.

Hi, PMCR, Yes, it's working.. I've connected 2 FQ2 & one ML1400 with CJ2 on same network for different messaging, & it's working fine.!! Thank you again!!

Hi, for the example of explicit message betweem CJ2M CPU32 PLC and micrologix 1400 PLC, what is the set we need to put in the micrologix. I'm using the MSG Block but in the setup page, i always get error code 21 I'm trying to use CIP generic. I talked to tech connect and they specifically told me after i' talked to like 4 technicians, that it is impoossible to exchange data in ethernet/IP between a micrologix 1400 and a CJ2M. could someone help me on that ? Thanks

On 21/10/2010 at 1:24 PM, PMCR said:

Attached is the Explicit Messaging code that I have successfully used for MicroScan QX-830 readers, along with the .esp Microscan setup files. There are 2 solutions, 1 for continuious reading, 1 for triggered reading. The Excel file details the Explicit Message commands, including Class, Instance, Attribute, etc. Essentially, the messaging is embedding serial commands in an EtherNet/IP packet. The newer 2D QX Hawk has EtherNet/IP Implicit Messaging capabilities, but MicroScan claims they do not have a .eds file for the device. This technically makes it non EtherNet/IP compliant. The attached code was written for a CJ2H PLC, but can be easily transported to CS1, CJ1, CJ2M,or CP1H. Yes, it is using UCMM. Microscan QX830 EIP Explicit Messaging.zip

Have you ever tried to communicate with a Kinetix 300 from a CJ2M?  I've looked at your code, and still confused on how to implement it for our application.  All we're trying to do is drive the motor at a given velocity(not position), which looks like we have to right 3 variables (ReferenceSource, CommandCurrentOrVelocity, and DriveEn).  Omron pushed it off saying it would take weeks to write the code for this, I'm not sure how they came up with that timescale. 

I am not sure if PMCR is still about or lurks occasionally, maybe someone will know.

It should be relatively easy to modify the code that communicates with the ML1400 to suit the K300...

1 person likes this

On 10/3/2017 at 2:51 AM, mrmarkfr said:

Have you ever tried to communicate with a Kinetix 300 from a CJ2M?  I've looked at your code, and still confused on how to implement it for our application.  All we're trying to do is drive the motor at a given velocity(not position), which looks like we have to right 3 variables (ReferenceSource, CommandCurrentOrVelocity, and DriveEn).  Omron pushed it off saying it would take weeks to write the code for this, I'm not sure how they came up with that timescale. 

I did a little browsing around and cannot find any EDS file for Kinetix 300. If Rockwell had any, it will make things much more simpler. The manual also only mentioned Explicit Messaging user guide using Micrologix.
The same thing (Ethernet/IP through Explicit Messaging) can be achieved using CJ2M, that's for sure, as how explained in PMCR's example.

"Omron said it will take weeks" : Yes it will, considering they might don't have any Kinetix 300 drive to test it out. Explicit Messaging is quite a pain to code in. Not impossible, but will take time to do trial and error.

On 2010/10/21 at 1:24 AM, PMCR said:

Edited by honey.zhao
I cannot see attached code and Messaging.zip, can you send these explicit code, excel, and QX830 EIP Explicit Messaging.zip to me? my email:honey.zhao@shiyinsystem.com. Thanks a lot.