Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gleblanc

Barcode scanner on Q00CPU

5 posts in this topic

Looking through my list of things to order for my tire machine, I realized that The Boss wants this all barcoded (this is our new method for taking operator error out of the equation). Can I hook up a barcode scanner to the serial port on the Q00CPU? I realize I can't be online with the processor if I do that, but it might be worth the cost savings over having to buy another serial card. Anybody have suggestions for a good barcode reader? I've got half a dozen applications coming up that need them, and would prefer to standardize on one model.

The serial port on the front of the QCPU only talks the MELSEC protocol, so that won't work. You'll have to get the serial card. Unless you use enough Ethernet to think about going that route? I don't know about hand-held scanners, but fixed scanners are mostly going Ethernet. Assuming you're talking about hand-held scanners, you've got a lot of good choices. I don't have direct experience with any, so maybe someone can give an on-the-ground comparison. It's my impression that there isn't much difference. Handheld Products makes some good ones (SICK private labels them), and I know at least one customer who uses a Motorola product that looks pretty decent, though the serial interface requires an external power supply. Cognex makes some very capable camera based units that are great for 2D code (at least some of these were jointly developed with Handheld). I would pick based on availability, price, and distributor support.

I figured that there must be some differentiation, since prices range from $50 to $1000. I guess I'll see if I can find a local distributor. Thanks much.

I would go with serial, hard to go wrong there. Yes, there is differentiation, but that mostly has to do with the actual features. Most likely the $50 unit is a non-ruggedized, USB-only, 1D barcode scanner that is made for applications like libraries, while the $1000 unit is ruggedized, wireless, can handle multiple interfaces (serial, USB, keyboard wedge, etc.), and might even do 2D code. It may also depend on who you get it from. I priced a Handheld Products scanner for a customer one time. I could buy it from SICK for about $500, from a Handheld distributor for about $300, and from an online cheapo warehouse for about $200. If you want a decent quality, fairly sturdy scanner with an RS232 interface, you should be in the $200-$300 range. I would avoid wireless models unless the application demands it, because they have a habit of growing legs.

If you are using 1D bar codes i.e. Ladder 2of5 or pharacode the lazer line readers are better than the CCD units, but wont do 2d codes Sick units are very reliable but expesive, Symbol are cheap but less reliable. When I say reliable I mean they will read on the first try, all will read the correct code. Make sure you program the code length or you may get incorrect codes. I find the lazer line much better than CCD models For fixed units I use the sick units CLV440 are OK but the CLV430 (multi line) are better, both are lazer line. I think the newer units have ethernet built in If you are looking at more than 1 or 2 go Ethernet with a serial to ethernet converter ($100) if required you can have upto 16 units on a single Q ethernet module that way. Programing for ethernet is pretty much the same as serial, I have both serial and ethernet connections for barcode scanners to a Q00 PLC. Most hand held units are optional for the type of interface but mostly USB or keyboard wedge, serial is going out of style. See usb to ethernet converter for this, but I have not used one