Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Niteman9

RSLogix 5000 Source Protection

10 posts in this topic

Hello, I have a question about RSLogix 5000 Source Protection. I have 9 processors all of which are using source protection. Management provided the customer with the SK.DAT file but now would like to lock them out. We also have the Logix Security Tool but would like to give them access to view the program just not change it. Does anyone know if the source protection can be used to allow us to have full access and give them view only access. If so how do you do this and what is the procedure to do this with them having the current SK.DAT file. Thanks

Once a routine is protected, users without the source key are prevented from altering the logic of the routine. You will need to go to the original programmer and get the source key... RSLogix 5000 allows a programmer to lockout the source code from viewing or viewing & modifying. The RSLogix 5000 Source Protection feature allows you to protect the contents of your routines from being viewed by anyone who does not have the source key required for accessing them. In order to use the Source Protection feature, you must activate it via a registry entry. The RSLogix 5000 software includes .reg files you can click on to add the required registry key. What is Protected? Once a routine is protected, users without the source key will be prevented from viewing the logic of the routine. This affects the following features: § Editing - the Language editor does not open and the Controller Organizer's edit menus are disabled. In addition, the routine icon is disabled. § Printing - attempting to print a protected routine displays the message: "Unable to print the routine. Source not available." § Exporting - no entry appears in the export file for the protected routine. A warning message appears in the Results window stating the routine was not exported. § Routine Properties - All controls on the Routine Properties dialog are disabled for a protected routine. The message "Source not available" appears at the bottom of the dialog, as well as in its title bar. § Search and Replace - The only search type that is allowed to look into a protected routine is Find All. Find Next, Replace All, and Replace Next all skip the protected routine. When the protected routine is skipped, the following message appears on the status bar: Unable to search the routine <Routine Name>. Source not available. Note: This message is also logged to the search results tab when perform a Replace All search. Since you cannot view protected routine's logic, the Find All search results items do not navigate to the found locations. § Navigation - You cannot navigate to a protected routine. § Verification - You cannot navigate to an error in a protected routine. § Cross Reference - cross reference information is displayed for items referenced within a protected routine, but you are not allowed to navigate to the location within the protected routine. Double clicking to navigate to a protected routine beeps and displays the following message on the status bar. Unable to edit the routine <Routine Name>. Source not available. The Go to Location menu item is disabled. § Go To - There is no edit item in the Go To dialog for a protected routine. § Cut/Copy/Paste - You can copy, paste, and drag and drop protected routines from the Controller Organizer. I beleive there is one aspect of the source code protection that the Rockwell manuals left off. You could loose your source code protected routine if you follow the following scenario. 1) I use my laptop to create the rslogix 5k file. I then protect certain routines with one password. I can see the password in text when I open sk.dat in a notepad. 2) I copy the .acd file to the customers computer (minus the sk.dat) file and download to the PLC. During debug, I make some online changes and save the acd file. 3) I copy the .acd file from the customers PC into my laptop (since the customers PC has the latest code now). When I try to open the source protected files, I simply can not. Even though I have the original sk.dat file in my laptop. 4) I tried deleting the sk.dat file and created a new one. Entered the SAME password as before, yet the source protected routines can not be opened. Edited by jimdi4

Thanks for the information. But you did not address my question. I am the original programmer I have the SK.dat file. I want to change it to another SK.dat file because my management gave the old SK.dat to the customer but now are asking if I can again lock the customer out from making changes. We want them to be able to view the code to troubleshoot but not make changes. I think I have an idea of what to do but was looking for some advise. The line is running and really don't want to experiment. So here is what I am look to do. Create a new SK.dat file which will give our guys full rights and only allow viewing if one does not have the new SK.dat file. Anyone have a procedure to do this? Thanks

I have it figured out now just waiting to see if management want to do it or not. Thanks

When you get a chance, will you post your procedure? Thanks!

Having been on the receiving end of a locked program, I feel that locked PLC programs are a bad, bad idea. Eventually a file gets lost, a computer drive takes a dump, or someone forgets where the password is written. There might be a business case for a few protected applications, but by and large they are a means for management to feel they are less likely to wind up in a lawsuit (and create a heap of havoc for a customer). Now I encourage others to negotiate unlocked program access in their purchase contracts.

Here is the procedure I found to work. Changing Source protection 1. This has to be done offline and downloaded so upload and save before starting. 2. Changing Source Protection 3. Click tools 4. Click Security 5. Click Configure Source protection 6. Open each Program and select the routines you want to change 7. Click Protect and type a new name of you choice in the dialog box. 8. Check Allow Viewing of Components check box to allow someone with out the key to view the protected routines. You can do this for each routine or select them all and do it once. 9. Click OK Repeat for all program sections for all programs and routines if you did not do them all at once. 10. Click the close button 11. Download program to PLC. 12. Enjoy you new found security. I agree Locking processors or adding source protection can be problematic down the road. But until a customer buys off on a line and pays it is needed. Once final buy off occurs the protection should be removed. Unfortunately this does not always happen. Edited by Niteman9

Hello,

I'm a former member when with another company.  My new company has a load of programs with source protection.  To date I have not found a listing of the contractors that set-up the programs.  I cannot open the files to trouble shoot them, I'm kind of lost.

If I follow what I read online and here indicates to me that I'm out of luck.

Is there any way to recover programming that  has been locked?  I have found one sk.dat file, but it does nothing.  In the dialog box I'm told that no file can be found and I see the file and it's contents.  Not real exotic, nor cryptic.

Help in any manner would be appreciated.

I believe bypassing program protection violates the forum's usage policy.

You are encouraged to contact your local Allen-Bradley sales engineer or the source company.  Good luck.