Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chris Elston

Facebook Integration to MrPLC now supported

13 posts in this topic

I know this probably isn't for everyone, but Social Networking has changed the way we do thing on the internet. So with that, MrPLC now supports Facebook Integration. If you would like to login with your Facebook account, you can do so now. I will DISCLOSE this, if you login with Facebook, things may appear SLOWER...That's because MrPLC.com has to check if you are logged into Facebook. If Facebook is slow or down that day, well you can guess what happens. If you want to combine your Facebook account and your forum account you can do so. You may have to logout first. Once logged out, sign in with the Facebook connect button. If you are already logged into Facebook, there will be a long delay then you'll be taken to your profile page. If you are not already logged into Facebook, you'll be taken to Facebook where you will need to login with your Facebook account then sent back to MrPLC. You have a choice that you can create a new account, if you have not created one, or link to an existing forum account. Now this step is important. When LINKING YOUR FACEBOOK ACCOUNT TO YOUR FORUM ACCOUNT, enter your forum "E-MAIL ADDRESS" not your "user name" for your MrPLC account. After you have done this, you may go to your Profile and edit your Facebook sync settings. You may sync your facebook updates to MrPLC if you wish. So in your profile at MrPLC, everyone can see your social habits and see your Facebook updates. The Sync time is set up every 24 hours for now. And the rest of the settings are self explanatory. Later on, MrPLC may start to stream member updates. You can also "Like" a topic. If you are logged into Facebook, you'll see the "Like" button at the bottom of a topic. Think about this, if you are a business with a Facebook account and you want to announce a new product on your Facebook page, if your account is connected it will show up on MrPLC so your product updates and announcements can be seen in real time.
1 person likes this

All good stuff Chris, the board has really improved on all fronts

Good Stuff Chris, but personally I try to keep a "Chinese wall" between my personal and professional web presences.

Likewise. How about something with LinkedIn?

I agree about Linkin. but let me explain a concept. The reason to have the Facebook and Twitter integration is because there is a big push on the internet to have a "common" login for all websites. If you are like me, you are probably tired of logging in with a different login and password for all the websites you visit especially forum boards. There is one other technology called OPENID which is standardizing login information but they are not nearly as popular as Facebook or Twitter. So you have two camps formed. Join the big dogs or OPENID. To have Facebook integration means you would login to Facebook and MrPLC detects you are logged in to Facebook in your browser session, and you bypass MrPLc login. You don't even know you weren’t logged in to MrPLC. The same goes for with Twitter or OPENID. We don't have OPENID installed yet, but we want to give that choice if you wish. The sync part or "sharing" part is just a bonus. It's up to you if you want to do that, and I understand you would not. But think about the login part. If you have not noticed there are a lot of websites with Facebook on them now, it's because practically every single user has an account. "almost anyway" 180 million last I heard. This could be BAD too if you think about it. Again, your choice and what you believe and how you have your privacy set in Facebook. Twitter is popular because of businesses wanting to listen to customers in real time and also can update their "status" when news becomes available. Twitter is the front end of most status updates. This is how I update my status or any news I want to push out. When I first started using Twitter I did a lot of personal posting, but now I use it to update my status on Facebook, MrPLC and Linkin all at the same time, most are relatively "geek" posts with some personal stuff I don't mind sharing. Sometimes it's a good conversation starter. I should probably create two Twitter accounts one for myself and one for MrPLC, but I haven't done that yet. I use twitter to drive all these accounts because I don't want to update my status in each of those websites separately. I've somewhat changed over the years. I've seen how powerful social media works. I don't rely on sales people to tell me about new products, I watch or follow manufactures directly either in Twitter or Facebook. My best act is to receive news about a new product announcements from a manufacture, then call the distributor that I want more information about that, then the distributor says "I have no idea what you are talking about, I don't think that exists yet". Then I say, yeah XYZ, Inc. posted a news release last night on Twitter. That's fun to do...

There is another way for the multiple logins Password managers Roboform is superb for windows 1Password is superb for macs (also now released for windows) And 1Password can sync your password encrypted file with dropbox, links to your laptop, home pc, work pc, ipad, iphone etc Another option Mine - I use 1Password Edited by 504bloke

Is it me, or did the FB plugin dissappear? Can't seem to find where to login through FB anymore like the pictures above, at the Sign In page the Facebook connect option is gone?

You are right, looks like updates aren't working to FB, not sure about login, guess I need to change my FB picture and see if it changes here.

You are right, it looks like Facebook integration isn't working.

Thanks. I fixed it. I think...

Ýes, my profile pic changed to my FB pic so I guess it's fixed! Thanks

Good looking pic there!

It doesn't look like the status updates are working again. I was able to manually synchronize my status. Not sure if pics are affected.