Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest RGKing

Setting Up Communications With Micrologix 1000

5 posts in this topic

I'm a maintenance electrician with a problem communicating with a new micrologix 1000. I set up the driver using AB_DF1 in RSLINXLITE it is running with no errors. I created a simple program using the current version of RSLOGIX500. I set up the communication for AB_DF1 . When i try to perform a download i keep getting the same message path or node not found. Is there a simple way to configure communications with this unit. I've had the same problem with a couple used slc 500 units we have sitting around. I practice writing programs on them and have had trouble setting up communication with our laptop.

Don't worry. We can help! First of all, you are communicating with the Micrologix in RS LINX correct? Like you can see your computer and the micrologix talking with NO big red "X" across the micrologix in the AB_DF1 sub folder right? If you got that then read on: Open up you program in RS Logix, and then the next thing I always do it set up the COMMS for my program. Each program stores it's own COMM settings, whether it was the PIC, ethernet connection, AB_DF1 or whatever. And it sounds like the last comm device you or someone else used, does not match the same comm device (AB_DF1) you want to use. To change that, MAKE SURE RS LINX is already running and communicating with the micrologix, then click on "COMMS" at the top. Third from the left.(FILE, VIEW, COMMS) Then click on System Comms... You'll get a mini RS Linx window that will show the AB_DF1 sub folder on the left, expand it, then highlight the Micrologix 1000. There will be a download button on the right that will enable. Click DOWNLOAD to download your program, or ONLINE if your program already matches, or Upload if it does not match. You'll also get a warning if RS Logix can change your system comm settings from what ever the last comm device it used to communicate with the micrologix to change it to AB_DF1 using COM1 yada yada yada...just say YES to this prompt. That will officially change your comm settings for your program. When you do a file save, then the next time you open up your program to go online or download, and provided you are still using the AB_DF1 driver, it will connect with no problems without having to do the Comm, System Comms thing. But generally, I ALWAYS do the Comm, System Comms... thing, because I am connected to sooooo many different PLC's. (Ethernet 505, Micro's, DH-485 using a PIC, the list goes on.... Hopefully that helps. If in the begining you was not able to get RS Linx to communicate, post back and we can help you setup RS Linx to talk to that MicroLogix.

RG we had the same problem with Linx Lite and could'nt communicate on a 1500 Micro. We tried everything we could think. We finally just put full version Linx in and went online in secs using the DF1 and cable for the Micro. Hehe while i was typin out a response chakorules beat me in their. Follow what he had to say but we tried all that and the Electro Tech with me has bunch of experience, I do also but we could'nt get Lite to fly for nothing. It worked with other SLCs just not the micro.

Veeger, I think the problem you are talking about is with the new LRP/LSP series "C" Micrologix 1500. I believe you have to have a certain REV with BOTH RS Linx and RS Logix to get that support for the series "C". I just ran into this problem last week. I had a duplicate job come through that when I programmed the last job, it had a series "B". Then the new job came, and we got a series "C" LRP and I had not upgraded to RS Logix 5.20 yet, but was forced to that day, because my version 4.xx did not have the support for the series "C". So I could not download my program. I am sure Ken Roach has the technical low down or it might be posted on AB's web site somewhere at which REV level you have to have to communicate with the series "C". I bet a POP that might have been your problem too.

Now that you said that I recall that may have been the trouble. We had version 4.10 Logix and Lite 1.7 I think back then. We now have Logix 5.20 and Linx Lite 2.31 and it goes online instantly