Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tmostad

Ultr3000i/MPL-A320 start-up

4 posts in this topic

I have an Ultra3000i (with SERCOS) coupled to an MPL-A320 with all of the appropriate cables. The drive ready indicator LED display is going in circles. I have the Ultra3000i connected to a PC running Ultraware 1.64. I have a 12V supply connected to the IOPOWER and IOCOMM pins plus pin 31 tied to IOPOWER. In Ultraware I set the the digital input 1 to "Drive Enable" via the dropdown and it shows as a yellow light bulb indicating a digital high. Despite all of this it says the drive is not enabled when I try to do an autotune for instance. If for instance I set the digital input 1 to be drive reset, the drive resets instantly so I know the input works and is being seen correctly but cannot find a way to enable the drive. Any ideas? Edited by tmostad

It operates on 24 VDC. It might take 12VDC but better to give it what it expects. Second, setting the digital input to "Drive Enable" means that digital input 1 corresponds to the drive enable pin. So you need to supply 24 VDC to that pin to enable the drive. I've tried various solutions but in the end you MUST have it set up as a digital input and must jumper power to that pin as far as I can tell (couldn't find any other way to force it always enabled).

If you are using SERCOS, you must also do a software enable (MSO) in your plc code. The hardware enable will not be enough. You will also have to ensure that the hardware enable is on before you do the software enable. I control the hardware enable in my safety chain and wait 100mS after my safety relay is enabled before I activate the MSO command.

Thanks for the pointers. Actually the comment about software enable pointed me to the DeviceNet page of Ultraware. There is a dropdown that let's you select Both Hardware and Software Enable or Hardware Only. Once I chose the latter, the drive started to respond. As for 12V vs 24V, actually that manual says 12V to 24V with a digital high at 10.8 V so the 12V can and does work fine (I don't happen to have 24V in my system and the 12V is what I used). Edited by tmostad