Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
James Fillmore

Serail port to data storage device

10 posts in this topic

Are there any serial port to USB or CF card data storage devices? This looks like a great little device but I'd prefere something with CF and a housing. Surely someone has come up with a decvice like this. Would just like to output a string of data every time a machine cycles or a string of data to time stamp an error. Then allow someone to remove a portable storage device like a thumb drive or a CF card and copy the file to thier computer and view in Excel or a text document. Simple as that. Thanks, Jim Fillmore Edited by James Fillmore

Jim do you have an HMI on the machine? There are several ways to make this happen. What hardware do you have?

Actually looking for a universal device that would work with both SLC and Logix processors. But we are using mostly Panelview Pluses on most of our CompactLogix based systems now. We mostly build small stand alone assembly cells. Have been using more of the L23 CompactLogix processors and EthernetI/O I/O blocks on the machines. Problem with the L23's is they don't have the CF card slot - though I don't think you can read/write to that anyway. Also on some our very low end machines (very few anymore) we don't even have HMI's. Edited by James Fillmore

Are you sure you can't write to the CF card on a Logix processor? I would double check if I where you. Look in the Sample project in your RSLogix5000 folder. I have never done this because I moved away from the PV+. You should be able to do datalogging to the CF card on a PV+.

This is nearly EXACTLY what I was looking for. A tad pricey but at least it would work with SLC500, CompactLogix, even the L23. http://www.acumeninstruments.com/Products/...-CF/index.shtml Anyone else use something similar to this?

http://www.mangiapane.com/modules.htm Check this one out for the SLC Edited by WireGuy1950

This is my favorite "hardware" based logger: http://www.redlion.net/Products/HumanMachi...tationPlus.html

PERFECT for tjhe SLC based systems. Too bad they don't have one for CompactLogix. I'm sure AB is gonna add this capability to the Logix processors WITH the CF card slot. But I still have the non CF card slot L23 processors to deal with.

I saw that unit. Looks like they have 3 flavors. I'd only need the lowest end one (without the built in HMI and webserver capabilities) but according to the literature I don't think I can datalog to the CF card with the low end one. It appears that one ($500 list) is just a gateway. Looks like I have to go to the $900 list unit to get datalogging. Am I correct? Also how do you like this unit and how are you using it?

They are well worth it, while more than you need, seems wasteful just to buy a "data logger". I bet you find some uses for some of the other features. For the lowest price possible, look at the G303