Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ianbuckley

ethernet communication fault indication

7 posts in this topic

I have posted about the Ethernet communication between a CompactLogix and a PowerFlex drive already. We settled on having the start/stop through a relay contact, but setting the speed reference and receiving feedback information through Ethernet. I would like to display on the Panelview that the communication link with the drive is not working, but I can't seem to find a tag or reference bit (equivalent to an S file) that tells me that the condition exists. I know you can set the drive to fault and/or a major fault on the controller on comm. failure, but I am not sure we need to stop the machine because the data is not being exchanged (that is what I was trying to avoid by using an input for start/stop). I just want to tell the operator that there is an issue that should be fixed. I am sure there must be documentation about this somewhere, but I am having trouble finding it. Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks, Ian

The Powerflex is setup in the IO configuration? Look at the GSV, Module, entry status (I'm going off of memory but pretty sure that is the correct GSV)

I have posted the screen shot of logix5000 where I think you are referring. How do I set up a tag to reference this so I can add the condition to my HMI message queue?

I'm sorry, I told you the wrong attribute. I used FaultCode.

Thanks for the tip. Following up on the GSV command, it looks like you can check for faults on the module overall using the method you showed. I think you can check just for communication status using the GSV of the EntryStatus as well as long as you mask the last 4 bits if I am following the help file correctly. This snippet shows checking both ways. Thanks again.

For some reason I went away from using the entry status. It may have been because I was passing the fault code on if it wasn't equal to zero...not sure. I'm not sure if there is any performance advantage to either

Dunno if this helps, but this is how I use GSV in my program to check the status of remote AENT modules...
1 person likes this