Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TheEquineFencer

Computer and software recommindations needed

24 posts in this topic

I'm in need of a new laptop and AB software to run a rack of SLC 503s I have at home for my personal training. I need to find out what I need in the way of the software I need on the computer and what AB software I need. I'm presently unemployed, so I'm looking the cheapest way to get what I need. The rack has two 120/240 VAC input cards and two 120/240 VAC relay output cards and one analog input card. I plan to build a "trainer" for myself and later intergrate the rack to "automate" my shop for the fun of it. At present I do not plan to use any type of HMI, just digital I/O, from/to lights and such. At some point I plan to use the Analog input card for use with either my Wood fired hot water heater and maybe a windmill I'm working on. What required software do I need for the laptop and what version of AB software do I need for what I want to do? What are my options if I decide to upgrade later on with the AB software? Do I have to buy the AB software from my local distributor or are there others I might be able to get a better price on it from?

Hi, sorry to hear about the unemployment. Personally given your current status, I would try to trade in your SLC 5/03 for a Micrologix 1000, 1100 on eBay. This way you can use the free version of the software. http://files.rockwellautomation.com/Public...roLite_Linx.zip. You will be dollar$ ahead. I wouldn't even worry about the analog for now, when that time comes trade your discrete model in As far as a PC, if it boots then that's good enough. It takes very little to RsLogix 500 and you don't even absolutely need a serial port (Yes, I know it is good to have but we are on a budget and learning)

I have the free version now. The reason I want the SLC503s, the local Community College here uses them on the trainer they built. There's just one trainer and at times 15-25 students. I plan to "duplicate" the trainer they have here at my shop. That way instead of having to "wait my turn," I can try the programs here at home and get ahead. If there's a glitch or programming error in the program we write, we do not get but a few minutes to look at what is actually happening in real life to troubleshoot it. I also figured, hopefully later in life it would be more usefully working with the SLC500 series CPU that the 1000 series. The software on the computer is what may be an issue, I've heard I need something like XP Pro and I'm not sure if it comes on new laptops. I need to know what OS I need on a laptop that is compatible with the AB software and what version of the AB software I need for what I want to do. I want all the OS for the laptop and the AB software to be legit and above board in case I happen upon a chance to do some simple programs for some of the electrical contractors around here. I've had one already approach me about doing some if I could get the PLC program after he saw me working on the LogixPro simulator.

That's great! Here are the software requirements for RsLogix 500. http://www.rockwellautomation.com/rockwell...500/sysreq.html I'm pretty sure there are plenty of people here also running it under Windows 7. Also it is very stable in a virtual environment. I run Windows XP SP2 as a virtual machine under Virtualbox

From what I've seen in a few work enviroments around my area, most are using the Micrologix and the SLC500 series, most have gone up to the SLC505 with the networking capabiliteis. As far as the XP software, that is what I have on a laptop I can use now, but it is the Home Edition not the Pro version. If memory serves me correctly a year or so ago I talked with the local AB dealer and was told I needed at least XP Pro version, that AB did not support XP Home Edition. I guess what I need is some straight answers from AB or someone that can tell me exactly what OS software I need for the Computer and what Software I need for the PLC end of things for the rack I have. What software is needed for the Compactlogix line or perhaps the Controllogix line? I've not looked at it at all. I'm guessing it will not work with the SLC500 version of software? What is the part number for the AB I need for the SLC500? I'm looking at spending around $1500 for the software and maybe $5-$600 for a new laptop with just what I need for software to run the AB software or if It's more cost effective, upgarde the laptop I have access to now. I've asked at school about the AB software for students, they do not have it. another school about 150 miles from me does, it's time limited and you have to be registered as a student in the PLC program to get it, cost is about $100 a year. It sounds great, I think it's about a $5500 package if you bought it out right, but like i said, it's time limited and they do check for the student being a registered student.

Officially you need XP Pro, but there is no reason why XP Home should not work. For your SLC5/03 you need RSLogix500 see picture below for prices of different versions all of which will program your SLC. For a Controllogix and Compactlogix you need RSLogix5000, see picture below for cost. RSLinxMatrixXPHome.pdf RSLogixComparison.pdf Edited by Mickey

Just taking a quick look, I'm guessing the 9324-RL0300ENE is what I need? 9324-RL0700NXENE is probably for doing the HMI stuff?

Nothing to do with HMIs just more bells and whistles. See matrix above post.

I found a 1761-L20AWA-5A for $280 and a Allen Bradley Micrologix 1000 1761-L32AWA Series D for $119, both plus shipping. How do you think these will work for doing basic program and some basic functions? What about the price? I also have a question about the PLC to PC Cable, will the Cable I have for the SLC503s work with these? Or do I need another cable? I'm not commiteed to either PLC yet, I'm just looking at my options. I reopened the Micrologix Lite I have and played with it a little while, it does program just about identical to the SLC500s. I'll bet I could write the programs in MicroLogix and get the PLC programmed and then rewite it the same in RSLogix500 and it would probably work. What do you think?

The lite version you have is RSLogix500, just limited to use with the ML1100 and ML1000. You can also download RSLogix Emulate 500 ( software to simulate a real ML????. See link below http://www.ab.com/programmablecontrol/plc/.../downloads.html Cable is different you will need a 1761-CBL-PM02 for the ML1000. See pdf and you can get one at link below http://www.plctrainer.net/PLCProgrammingCables.htm 1761_CBL_PM02_PinOut.pdf Edited by Mickey

So these will not work? Do you have a catalog number for the AB PLCs I can use so I'll know what to look for?

The PLC's in your above post will work just fine. Or maybe I'm not following your question. See link below for AB PLC info. http://www.ab.com/programmablecontrol/plc/ Edited by Mickey

The PLC's in your above post will work just fine. Or maybe I'm not following your question. See link below for AB PLC info. http://www.ab.com/programmablecontrol/plc/ Edited by TheEquineFencer

disclaimer: I haven't been following this thread - and this might not be of interest to you - but consider that AB sells (or at least they used to) a "stripped down" version of RSLogix500 that will program the SLC-5/03 platform - but it doesn't allow online programming ... the price used to be about $500 ... the point is that for not TOO much more than what you're thinking about paying for a "getting started" MicroLogix system, you might be able to move right into the SLC system instead ... and then later, it should be possible to pay some more and "upgrade" the RSLogix500 package I'm talking about to an "online capable" version - without having to fork over the full price and "start over" from scratch ... sorry I don't have time to research all of this for you ... tied up this week ...

When you say does not allow online programming, what do you mean? I'd ne happy if I could just program the PLCs and then be able to monitor it with the PC and see what's happening with the program for now. Edited by TheEquineFencer

'Online' capability means being able to make, usually minor, changes to the logic of a running program without stopping it. The steps are usually: 1. Making a non-scanned copy of a rung 2. Making chnages to it 3. Temoprarily the PLC switches from scanning the original rung to the new edited rung (Testing) 4. You decide if the new rung accomplishes the needed change. If so then the PLC is commanded to make the new rung permanent and delete the old rung 5. If you decide instead to abandon the change then control is returned to the old rung and the newer edited copy is deleted. Again, the changes noted are made without interrupting the scan. Any changes made may have to be specifically stored back to your computer/disk version. A hazard of online programming is that the steps to return control back to an original rung may take longer than optimum if the new rung prooves to not accomplish the needed change. it's especially bad if it generates problems for other parts of the program. Another hazard is leaving the newly edited rung (whether in control or not) and exiting the programming process by going offline instead of properly finalizing the process by either making the new rung permanent or by deleting it. So, not having the capability to make 'online' changes may be a blessing or a curse.

everything posted by my distinguished colleague Bernie is correct – and based on the questions you've been asking, the following might also be helpful ... in YOUR "just-learning" situation "no online editing" means that every change you make to your program will take an extra thirty seconds or so – during which time you'll have to stop the processor and "download" the modified program to it ... on the other hand, in a PLANT's "need-to-make-money" situation "no online editing" means that every change being made to the program will require STOPPING the processor AND THE SYSTEM IT CONTROLS while the modified program is "downloaded" ... in many plants "stopping the system" (even for just a few minutes) requires a matter of several hours of preparation to clear out raw product – and move out finished product – from a continuous production line ... this is not a trivial operation ... summing up: in YOUR case, you can probably save $600 or so – and easily live with the limitations ... note that MOST of the MicroLogix processors do NOT allow "online programming" anyway – so you won't really be limiting yourself too much during the early part of your learning curve ...

Now I just need to find the product number for this "stripped down version" and get it installed if I can. This has been a lot of help so far, thanks, you guys are wonderful! Edited by TheEquineFencer

See post #6 or see below

What is the differance bewtween 9324-RL0100ENE and 9324-RL0100ENF ? I'm guessing 9324-RL0100ENE is what I need?

I've never in my life had such a hard time trying to find out something like this PLC software. I've been talking with the RA people and keep getting sent to the distriutor level and no one seems to be able to give me a good answer. I've been told differant stories about what I need. 9324-RLO100ENE is $641.00, 9324-RLO300ENE is $1410.00 and a USB "Dongle" is $110.00. I've been told the 100ENE will do what I want and then another tells me it will not, same with the 300ENE. Is there a RA person in here that actually knows? My first priority id being able to do basic programming for a SLC503, my second priority is doing the MicroLogix line. The "dongle" is so I can use the activation on two differant computers. Right now I'm wiating for the feild service guy to check into it and get back with me, for the second day.
1 person likes this

Maybe this will help. And link for activation issues. http://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?showtopic=20808&view=findpost&p=100287 RSLogixComparison.pdf

I just got a call back from the local Distibutor feild service guy, he said I needed the 300ENE to do what I want. With the dongle I'll be able to have it on two differant computers and jsut move the dongle. He said the activation will be on both computers but would need the dongle to work on which ever compter I was using it on.

9324-RL0100ENE: RSLogix 500 Starter Offline/Online Programming 9324-RL0100ENF: RSLogix 500 Starter Offline/Online Programming (Concurrent) My understanding is that the ENE version is for a single license that you load on a single PC or dongle that can be moved to different PCs. With the ENF version, you load the license on a network drive and "check it out" on a PC as needed. It sounds like the 9324-RL0100ENE package and dongle are what you need. If you have knowledgebase access, check answer 21640 - RSLogix 5/500 Comparison Matrix. It looks like the starter package will do what you want. According to the comparison matrix, all SLC and MicroLogix controllers are supported by the starter package. I think you will lose some functionality like the ability to make online edits, cross-referencing, and diagnostics that the standard package has. I'm not an expert, but I hope this info helps.