Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
student

automation direct

4 posts in this topic

hey I am just starting to work with PLC's and I was wondering if anyone could give me their opinion on automation direct products. I am looking at the click plc's because of cost but I still need to do some research before I buy anything

I have used them for simple applications. The math functions are a little rough but you can do allot with them. I use the drop I/O like their tech support. I love their screens.

I've used the DL450 in severe service a couple of times. As far as I know they are still running fine. Last summer I was called to a customers site to add some logic to an older "450" that was installed on three different 1,200 horsepower engine driven natural gas compressors. The compressor building was 125°F (measured by thermocouple) and the panel was vibrating due to the engine / compressor packages. They PLC's were at least 10 years old and had been online continuously with no problems. Pluses: Relatively cheap hardware Relatively cheap software Easy to get (web ordering and quick deliver) Reliable Good PID control Simple Modbus communication Good local HMI availability (C-More panels) Very good tech support Minuses: 8 bit language requires a little getting used to. Doesn't have the bells and whistles that AB CLX platform comes with If I get to pick- I'll buy an Allen-Bradley CLX. If the customer says "I have a Direct Logic can you help me" I'm happy to help. Edited by Michael Lloyd