Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest manassas

Premium PLC

3 posts in this topic

Hi, guys Is there anyone knows where I can learn more info about Scheneider Premium PLS. Thanks guys

Modicon used to have an online tutorial for the Premium available through their website at www.modicon.com. You may want to check there. Otherwise, try their new site at www.telemecanique.com, as it's really a Tele PLC. I still may have some old Powerpoints form my days with Modicon products. I'll check what I still have around and get back to you.

Hi, My answer comes probably too late but anyway. In the Modicon catalog from the Telemecanique brand, there is 3 high-end PLCs which is quite different than the classical small-large approach from other suppliers. - Quantum is the optimized platform for PID control - Premium is the optimzed platform for discrete, manufacturing and complex machine - Atrium is the same, but with a PC based format So Premium now uses the same software as Quantum and Atrium which is called Unity Pro. I've seen and tried it and clearly it's great. You've got 5 IEC standards as a standard and I think they are ahead for standardization and re-use. FBD and ST and SFC editors are great and the LD is a bit perfectible but not so bad. They also have a C++ openness which is great to optimize your tailor-made solution and protect your know-how. As a native features, the most significative compared to AB or Siemens are the ease of use (HMI embedded for setup and maintenance, simulation on PC, great debug tools, and functional view of your process instead of a flat system viem). You also have the choice of using mapped data or unallocated data. It's possible to structure you data and nest your structures. When you change the structure type itself, there is no problem if it's already instanced which is not the case with AB. I liked it. For the Premium itself, performance is very good, there is good multitasking and you can expand the exec memeory by a cardridge avoiding replacing the CPU. That's new for me. Premium is also compact. It can be used for a wide kind of projects, from around 100 IOs up to around 2000 in rack IOs. In term of communication, the chosen are Modbus TCP, CANopen and AS-i but modicon also provide connectivity for Modbus Plus, Profibus and Interbus. Ethernet is built-in in most CPUs with a web-server and now e-mail notification. They also provide positioning, weighing, process control and safety but I didn't used it so I can't recommend it. Very interesting is the backplane architecture they called the Bus X because you don't need any repeater. It's less expensive and that also guarantees total real-time performance whatever the distance from the main rack. In other word, I liked using Premium and Unity. If you need more information telemecanique.com is the official source for information on all Modicon PLC now. But I encourage you to contcat your Square D contact in the US, your Schneider contact anywhere else. Thanks to Unity, it seems that Schneider sales force are now supporting each platform. Premium is going out of Europe ... and Quantum is not just fro US influence.