Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mtech1

Micrologix 1400 setup to a Maples system touch panel

22 posts in this topic

I have a AB MICROLOGIX 1400 and a Maple Systems touch panel I am trying to connect. I have configured both devices IP addresses and have setup touch panel to recognize its connected to a micrologix through a ethernet. Problem is the panel says there is no response from PLC. Is there something I need to do in the RS500 program under configuration to setup comms so the processor will respond to commands from the touch panel? Thanks in advance. The touch panel Model is a 5056. Edited by Mtech1

what tipe/kind of wire are you using is a croos over or normal pat

I am not sure what you are asking. I have everything connected over ethernet.

Let's hit the basics first. Can you ping both devices?

I think he is asking how it is physically wired. When wiring using 802.3, there are two types of equipment: devices and hosts. The easy way to distinguish between them is that hosts have IP addresses while devices do not. Following this, computers are hosts and unmanaged switches are not. There are two types of wiring terminations: TIA/EIA-568A and TIA/EIA-568B. When you are connecting two different pieces of equipment together (a device, like a switch, and a host, like a HMI) you use the same termination on each end, forming a straight-through cable. The "B" standard seems to be more common now. When you are connecting the same type of equipment together, you use a cross-over cable, where one end has the "A" termination and the other has the "B" termination. From this, hopefully you should be able to determine if your panels are wired correctly. After that, you get away from Layer 1 (the physical medium) probe's and into software issues. On your computer, which I will assume is Windows 2K or XP, click on the "Start" button. Choose run and type "cmd". This will start the Command Prompt. Type "ping [the plc's IP address]" and press enter. You should see "Reply from ..." appear four times. Then type "ping [the HMI's IP address]" and press enter. You should see the same response. If the first ping is not successful, then you know you cannot talk to the PLC. If the second ping is not successful, then you cannot talk to the HMI. If both are successful, as I suspect they will be, then your problem is in the configuration of the PLC or the HMI. Let us know the results and we can help more. Good luck. Edited by JStevens

Thanks everyone, I believe I am good on wiring. I will try pinging both devices. I am now thinking your correct on PLC config. I will post results. Thanks.

Ping: found bad ethernet cable to touch panel. Replaced and ok on this. Anyone have any ideas what I would need to do to configure the PLC because I am still missing something? I hope to get a better chance later this week to figure out.Thanks in advance.

Can you explain how you have the devices connected. Is the Maple HMI and the Micrologix 1400 both connected to a switch? If you have an IP address set for the Micrlogix 1400 then you need to set the parameters in the 5056 to communicate with it. In Easybuilder 5000 open the project for your HMI. Click on EDIT scroll down to SYSTEM PARAMETERS. You need to add the PLC in the device list. Click on SETTINGS, click on PLC so it is marked and then under PLC TYPE and select ALLEN BRADLEY SLC AND MICRO (ETHERNET IP, DF1). Underneath this will be a SETTINGS tab. Click on this and put in the IP address you gave to the Micrologix 1400. See if this helpls. Tom

Yes I am using a switch to connect devices. I will recheck HMI setup according to your recommendation. As I could have messed up. Is there anything that you know of that I need to setup in PLC?Thanks for your reply.

This may be overly basic, but I assume you understand Subnet Masks and Gateway Addresses when it comes to specifying them for IP addresses of two devices? I won't belabor the point unless you need some help in this area, but be sure you ahve two addresses which can communicate.

I feel I have a good understanding. Like most everything I tend blank out the details. As you could probably tell by now. Now, that you mentioned it I do recall setting my PLC subset address when performing BootP on IP address. Perhaps that might be a problem. THANKS. I got focused on a problem with IP being lost after a re power following IP setup. Still trying to figure that out as well. But I feel that is minor at this point. Thanks again.

If he can successfully ping both devices from the same computer without changing the wiring or computer configuration, then they are inherently on the same network (and subnet too). There is one exception to this, and that is if he is sending a ping command from his computer to be executed by a router, in which case, the router sends it out of one of its interfaces (it does not tell you which). The latter is not the case here, but it is useful information for those who configure routers. In RSLogix, make sure you have your channel configuration correct. Your IP settings seem right, but make sure you have selected the correct protocol for the HMI. Also, your PLC must have a static IP address, meaning that BootP is not enabled. Edited by JStevens

I have dis/enable BootP but this still fails. Its starting to sound like I have multiple things wrong. When ping the devices it was through a switch but I disconnect the other device as I had to use that ethernet cable because I found one had a bad connection and didn't have a spare at that time. I think I know what I need to do in the HMI config and feel I can get the IP corrected this weekend I had this happen a time or two on a flex I/O ether net card. Obviously something I skip during setup. I will use everyones replys this weekend to see if I can get this done. Thanks again for the insight.

Maybe start at the begining and tell us all steps you have taken up to this point. Please include all steps and information. This could help us help you as it seems we are running in circles. Tom

I agree, from the top. I don't have everything in front of me but I can tell you from memory. SETUP: HMI-Set IP address 182. 50 50 200 and subset 255.0 0 0 Set up a new program in Maple system 5000. Added a SLC500/Micro with IP 182.99.99.100 under add device. Programmed a button on screen / stopped there until I can figure out the newer software to properly address to PLC. I got some experience w/500 version which helps me none here. But I'm determined to figure this out. Micrologix-BootP Clicked on found MAC address,New Enter IP 182 99 99 100,enabled,Command at bottom of BootP says the process was successful.Note a pop window says request failed bla bla bla. Then disabled BootP. Under config I set up my analog add on cards and tested. Which ok if your wondering. The entire time I was setting PLC program a no response from PLC pop up window comes up. After a cable swap still the same message a now a good comm. Indicator. I tried setting up the HMI TOGGLE button and got the same response from pop up when pressed. However I could have toggle button configured wrong. I tried converting a older HMI 500 file to a 5000 to see how you setup a toggle address and all that but have much reading to do here. I think this sums it up. I apologize for being short but I to type this out on my phone.

Do you have anything programmed in the PLC? If you have a program set up in the HMI but not the corrosponding data in the PLC you will get a PLC NO RESPONSE message. In effect you are trying to communicate with data that is not present so you get the error message. If you are sure of your configuration of both the HMI and PLC I would start with a simple one line program in the PLC. Use an XIC command and give it a B3:0/0 address and then put an add instruction where you add 1 to say n7:0. Load that in the PLC. In the HMI create a SET BIT object and give it the address of the XIC instruction. Note you have to follow Maple's syntax when addressing so you would use b3 in the device type and 00000 for the address. Set the attribute to the style of switch you want to use. I would use a peridodic toggle just for fun. Next set up a numeric display where you use n7 as the device and 0 as the address. Also make sure that you have the PLC that you configured listed in the PLC TYPE and not local HMI for both of the objects you created above. Download that to the HMI and see if you get communications then. Let us know how you make out. Tom

I will follow your instructions. To answer your question I did program some logic SCP,CPT to start testing the analog setup. It will be no big deal to create a new fresh file and try your suggestion. Thanks for your assistance.

Thanks everyone. Got everything talking. Great example Tom. Periodic toggle, I liked that. You seem knowledgeable with the Maple system. Do you happen to know why download result in blank screens?Online and off line sims have proper graphics just not the touch screen. After several downloads and new program creations things will appear. Just weird. Once again thank you very much.

Your welcome. Glad to see you have things communicating. My knowledge with the Maple system HMI is limited. I have done a few projects where they are connected to Allen Bradley PLC so I have worked through some of the same problems. As for having blank screens after download I'm just guessing but again if you have objects programmed in the HMI without the corrosponding data available in the PLC I think you may encounter the objects not displaying when in "run" mode. They will still show up in the simulator because you are not actually communicating with the PLC. Tom

I think you are correct. I programmed both HMI and PLC then download both before connecting. And had no problems. Thanks

I found this thread by doing a search for maples and if possible could use some advice myself. I have inherited a project that a micrologix 1100 and a maples HMI5043t was orderd for. I have experience with the 1100, but none with a maples. The programming has never been done, but the engineer that was working on this has most of the panel wired. The maples is connected to the 1100 with a serial cable and I do know that the plan was to program the maples and the 1100 using the ethernet ports. Here is where I am confused at the moment 1. To program the maples display with my PC would i use a cross over cable like what i use when i program a micrologix 1100 when not going through a switch? 2. I have reviewed some of the documentation today, but to be honest not exactly sure how to set up the maples to communicate to the plc using the serial port but program the maples using the ethernet port with my pc. Was hoping someone on here has a lot of experience with these units and could possbily post some advice or a sample program. Thanks for any suggestions.

Finally got a chance to work with the maples display and completed the project on the bench. Have to admit, really like the maples now that i have had a couple of days to work with it. I have attached the files. The maples file i had to zip, so you will need to unzip it and use the maples software Easybuilder 5000 mrplc_post.RSS mrplc_post.zip