Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
308guru

ML1100 connection to C300 Panelview options?

9 posts in this topic

I am trying to think of a way that I can connect a C300 Panelview to my ML1100. I have a barcode scanner connected to the DF1 port and it looks like the C300 is serial only. That leaves me with no options for connecting the C300. I could step up to the C600 to get Ethernet capability but I don't want a display that large, nor do I want to spend the additional money. Are there any other options? Edited by mckeand13

You can Daisy Chain the serial Just make sure the Node Address is different on each device. I can't remember how many total devices you can get but I know it is more than 3.

Another option: Depending on how you use the barcode scanner (operator workflow), you could connect it up using the USB port to the C300. Most barcode scanners can act like a usb keyboard. Program the barcode scanner to append an ENTER key at the end of every scan, then have the operator select a numeric input object on the PanelView. when they scan the data it will go to the numeric input, write the ENTER key, and send the value to the controller.

Could you elaborate? I've never done this. Do I just need a cable that splits from 2 DB9 connectors to the single 8pin mini din? The C300 would be connected to the DF1 port then correct?

Is it possible to write the numeric input to an ST location? The reason I have to use ST is that my barcode is alpha numeric. The way I currently handle barcodes is to scan them into an ST location, split that location up into multiple ST locations, and then use string compares to determine certain things.

It might vary a little depending on the cable that you are currently using. If my memory serves me right, on the PLC DB9 connector Pin 2 goes to Pin 3 on the DB9 of the screen then from Pin 2 on the screen most likely goes to Pin 3 on the Scanner then from Pin 2 on the scanner it would go to Pin 3 on the PLC. Pins 2 and 3 are the Transmit and the other is Recieve for most devices. From what I remember the PLC does use some of the other pins as well, and you will have to check the scanner to se what it requires. Something along the lines of the picture should work. Just verify the scanner output.

Yes, you can. Use the string input object for alphanumeric data. Same principle, you will select the string input to send data to (during runtime) and then the barcode scanner will acts like a keyboard following up the data with an Enter key. That will send the data to the configured tag in the string input object.

I've been told by my distributor that it's not possible to do this in the ways suggest. The daisy chaining of the RS232 will not work because the panelview is always communicating with the PLC so the barcode scanner will never be able to communicate with the PLC. They suggested using a Real Time Automation ethernet to RS232 (p.n. 435NBS-D) to convert the ascii barcode scanner to ethernet. While that sounds like a possibility, It's about $650 so that doesn't make sense. I could just buy the C600 and it would be much simpler. Last questions I think: - Does the programming software (web based) on the C300 have a "string input enable" button similar to RSViewME? Seems like the screen would be so small it isn't likely. - If the C300 does have a string input enable feature, can the barcode scanner connected via usb to the back of the panel send the string. I though the usb ports were for program backup and more drive based use rather than input. - I've never programmed any of the C series panelviews. Is there a simulator available so I can check it out before buying? Thanks.

Q1 - Yes, there is a string input object for the PVc. Because the screen is small, any entries done on the screen would use a thumbwheel type function to enter each letter/digit. Q2 - I do not think this has ever been tested, but it is possible that it would work. Q3 - PanelView Component Emulator is a free installation on the PanelView Component website. It's a pretty easy installation, and will allow you to create an entire application without a terminal connected. Make sure to download and extract the webhelp and extended support to make the installation easier. It is possible to edit and test (without communications) using the emulator. If communications are desired, the application would need to be transferred to a physical terminal and then run.