Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HiGhVoLtAgEgUrU

Text Message from PLC

8 posts in this topic

How can I have PLC to send text message at a certain event. Is it seperate software I have to download. I want to do a little project like that. Give me starting point, how the process works. What do i need (hardware, software). I have a mx 1100, which I can comminuate to via wireless router. PLC and my home comp. are on the same network. Both have Own I.P. Addresses. So How do I get a text message out to my phone if certian conditions are met within the program is what I'm asking. Thankyou Edited by HiGhVoLtAgEgUrU

While I did not use a mx 1100, I used an Omron PLC with a Falcom Modem, you can see an example in the Omron download section regards to SMS messaging. This was a while ago and technolgy has advanced a little more on this front I am sure. REDLION has a product that can add the capability of GSM modem etc..There are also a number of products out there that can output an SMS based on the state of digital IO also. Have a search on the web.

I've never used them before but have kept the details, they may be of interest here http://www.sendtech.co.uk/

Our WISE series controllers will send up to 12 different predefined Email messages based on inputs to the controller. These can be sent to your cel phone by email to text functions of your cel phone. For instance for verizon, you can send an SMS to you cel phone by emailing it to phone#@vtext.com. It can even send input and output conditions and analog input values. They are programmed with IF THEN ELSE logic so it is very easy to do. There are 12 versions but this one seems to have a nice mix of all types of IO WISE-7126 by ICP DAS http://www.icpdas-usa.com/products.php?PID=3580 Edited by automationtechie

Most cell phones have an email address, get a PLC which can send emails. I did this once with a Siemens S7-200 with the modem module too.

I agree that e-mail is much simpler for what you want than SMS. Virtually every cell phone will accept e-mail with a short message as an SMS. The MicroLogix 1100 and 1400 controllers have a simple e-mail client feature. The Instruction Set Reference for either controller (1763-RM001 or 1766-RM001) includes details, and there's a publicly readable example on the Knowledgebase. http://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/53965 The element you might not have is an SMTP Server. Remember the old days before webmail services ? You always had to configure a mail client (Outlook, Eudora, Thunderbird) to both retrieve (POP3 protocol) and send (SMTP protocol) e-mail from a server. From where I sit I have three e-mail servers available to me; two personal websites and the Comcast server, because I'm using them for my ISP. I never use the Comcast e-mail accounts.... I probably don't know the passwords. So, which e-mail servers do you have access to from your home network ? Let's start from there.

Seems you are being advised to head down the email route, but I had to do this recently with a AB 1769L35E controller. I dont know if email was viable (very poor network strength), but I did have it sending SMS using a Fastrack Xtend 3G modem. Connected the modem to the PLC using a serial cable, and used ASCII Serial command blocks in the ladder logic to send AT commands to the modem, which would then send fault messages to the engineer or transaction messages to the accounts department. If doing it this way, just be sure your loops handling the sending are... Pretty tight... Or you can end up spamming the recipient quite easily, and horribly effectively. Hope this is some use even if its a slightly different angle from what others are suggesting. Let me know if I can be any more help. Cheers! Sorry! I didnt realise how old this post was! Doh! Edited by RobertStewart

Although texting and emailing are both reliable options, it is truly just a matter of preference as to which technology you use. After further exploring this application, it seems as though there are three reliable options: 1. Create a stand alone solution (no need for a PLC) by connecting an SMS relay directly to the sensor/device. A set point can be created in the SMS relay and if over the given value a text will be sent. 2. If a PLC is already implemented, the sensor/device can be connected to the PLC. When a signal is sent to the PLC the ouput will be sent to the input of the SMS relay. The input (SMS relay) will then send text messages based on the on/off of the relay. The SMS relay can also receive commands. As long as there is cell coverage, these are both very reliable options. 3. If looking to send notifications via email. A GSM modem can be used instead. A GSM modem, however will need a PLC in order to operate) For more information on these products visit: http://www.phoenixcontact.com/signal-level-matching/31261_40428.htm