Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PLC_man_Stan

Control Logix I/O Firmware

5 posts in this topic

I need to update the firmware in a 1756-IB16 but i just cant seem to find a way of doing it. I have the new EDS file containing version 3.5 and i have control flash, but ijust can't seem to find out how to update it. When i open the control flash application it asks me to select teh module for updating and the IB16 card is not there. Come on peeps, put me out of my misery

Refer to this bulletin from AB: 36196 - Do not flash your 1756 I/O module's firmware from revision 3.x to 2.x or modules rev 2.x to 3.x

So you're saying that i can't upgrade the firmware? This means i will have to delete the modules from the code and re-install them as the correct version. As i have 8 32 input modules to do all which have Alias tags, this will be a lot of work HELP!

Yet another reason to write the program with your hardware present. Or ensure you program to what is ordered.

No need to panic. The easy and fast thing to do is just disable Electronic keying for each module. Problem solved. The exact method is to delete each module from the I/O tree and re-enter it with the correct firmware version, the same connection type, and the exact same name. All of the program references and Aliases will re-associate to the new module. If the modules are in the local chassis, their base names will be "Local:S:I.x" and you don't even need the same names, just the same slot numbers and connection types.