Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Water Ratz

SLC-5/05 Comms Issues

1 post in this topic

Hey all, I just finished banging my bloody head against the wall for over a week and thought I would share in the hopes that OTHERS won't have to endure what I just did. The problem arose when a customers' RSView32 system started having "wireframing" issues. Actually, this system is comprised of (2) SLC-5/05 PLC's and (3) RSView32 computer systems. I went through all th enormal steps of trying to find a single culprit that could be dragging the network down. By disconnecting one or two of the RSView32 computers, the problem SEEMED to almost go away, but not entirely. We ended up running a piece of network analysis software on one of the RSView machines to see if we could find out WHO was causing all the errors on the network. Lo and behold, we were getting LOTS of packet errors from BOTH of the SLC-5/05 PLC's. After swapping out one of the PLC's, all the errors from that IP address ended. At that point I had an "AHA! moment" and thought, Hmmmmmmm, I wonder if the problem was simply solved by powering down the PLC. Sure enough, after powering down BOTH PLC's, NO MORE packet errors. Obviosly something had come down the CAT-5 cable at some point and confused the ethernet ports on the PLC's. Since both of these PLC's are on a UPS, they NEVER get shut down. ANyways, just thought I'd share this little tidbit. Hope it helps someone else out!