Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Steve Bailey

Conversion assistance

7 posts in this topic

First, I want to emphasize that this not intended to be a "bash AB" thread. It has been noted elsewhere that Allen Bradley is quoting extended delivery dates for the MicroLogix range of PLCs. This is causing problems for OEMs and end users with project schedules to keep. I'm sure the majority of MicroLogix customers will ride out the late deliveries and stick with a product line that they are familiar and comfortable with. For them the negatives associated with switching to a different platform will outweigh the negatives associated with a delay in their project schedule. Some, however, may decide that any delay in the project schedule is unacceptable, even if it means switching to a different hardware platform. It is to those that this thread is directed. I'm sure there are members on MrPLC.com with experience on multiple platforms, one of which being AB, who could offer services to convert programs and wiring diagrams from AB to any of several alternate brands. I'm hoping those with such experience will indicate their availablilty by posting in this thread. Those with projects at risk can check here to find people with experience in their preferred alternate brand and contact them off-line. I'm one of those people with experience on multiple platforms. I can help with conversion to GE, Automation Direct, Mitsubishi, or Siemens S7-200. That is, I have software for any of those options in addition to RSLogix 500. I've listed them in order of my experience level. Send me a PM if you have a project I might be able to help you with. Again, my intent in starting this thread is not to highlight AB's current difficulties. Eventually, their deliveries will get back to normal and they'll put this behind them. My intent is to help the end users get through it with as little pain and suffering as possible. I'm going to post an edited version of this in the AB section.

Ok Steve. Interesting idea. I can agree with having a list of "go to" people for situations like we have now. I'm not a real fan of the Micro line except for the new 1100 and 1400's. I would suggest that another avenue for people caught in this situation would be to go up to the L2x series of the compact line. If you have been putting in a lot of logix into your facility, that may have been the better (albeit more expensive) path anyway. I would also suggest that deciding to go a different direction not be a knee jerk reaction but take some time to think it through to make sure it is really necessary. That out of the way, we would be willing to help migrate people to a different platform if necessary and practical. We have good experience with Siemens and I like it just about as much as the AB stuff - just not their local support. We also have good experience in GE though I would pick the Siemens first. We have had experience with many others and would be willing to discuss the pros and cons of other systems on a case by case basis. As a suggestion, start by looking at what your currently have installed in your facility and the type of service you have experienced with the non-ab stuff. If you have something that is working - no need to look further. If you have stuff that is nothing but headaches - no need to go down that road again.

Steve Great idea I would like to put my name on the list as well. My strong point is AB,then Automation Direct, ProFace HMI/PLC , EZ Automtion PLC & HMI, Lite GE. I am willing to learn anything someone needs. Small panels less than 60 * 60. I do make a nice door man as well. I am more than happy to hold the door and smile as you come and go.

Hi i need your help, i need to convert the PLC Program of FX2N to PLC S7-200, Can you help me. Regards feroz

hey doorman was my job.....hands off!!! and I can get coffee too!!!! I don't smile much though..... put me down on list if anyone's keeping track.....AB all the way from PLC2, PLC3, PLC5, SLC, Micrologix, and of couse CompactLogix and ControlLogix. Siemens S5 and S7, Mitsubishi, AutomationDirect (bring on those octal conversions!!!), and GE (everything from Series 6,5 90-30, 90-70 and the new RXi). Drives (don't bother me about normal inverters) from AB, Siemens, Hitachi, Control Techniques, Eurotherm. HMI's, panelmates, panelviews, pv+, and nearly anything else Wonderware, Fix32, iFix, Cimplicity, RSView32 and I'm great at getting donuts too!!! (well I'm actually better at eating them)

Thanks for starting this Steve. I've had a couple of customers use me for this type of conversion, and it works out pretty well. In both cases, it was a customer choice, and the OEM needed help meeting the schedule. This is also a useful compendium for small integrators who need help with a new platform on short notice! I have the full Rockwell Toolkit, so I can handle conversions from/to any current AB platform. I can also handle PLC/2 and SLC 100/150. I have software for the following, listed in order of experience: Mitsubishi - FX, QPLC, GOT, E-Series Siemens - S7-300, S7-1200, WinCC Automation Direct - DirectLogix, CMore Proface - LT3000 It might also be helpful to include location, as some people might prefer integrators who can come on location for start-up assistance with minimum travel fuss. I'm based out of central Pennsylvania near Harrisburg. I'm approximately 2 hours from Baltimore, DC, or Philadelphia; 3 hours from Pittsburgh; 4 hours from NYC.

rswolff You can be the door man. I will be the bar tender. I care so much for every one of you, I will make sure every beer you buy is safe to drink. I will force myself to sample each and every beer. I am just thinking of you guys.