Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PLC_man_Stan

Windows 7 PC to Switch

4 posts in this topic

We have a Hirschamnn engineering network with around 20 managed switches on it. Using a web browser i can access each of the switches and configure them. Except for 2 of them. When i type in the IP adress the correct Railswitch page loads and asks me for the password. I type in the known password but nothing happens it's as if i have got the password wrong. When i try this with my XP PC the known password is accepted and i'm allowed onto the switch. I've tried turning firewalls off and clearing internet history but the W7 PC will not connect to the switch. i am stumped on this one please help.

Try enabling Compatibility mode or try Firefox/Chrome. Just grabbing at straws

I'm actually using firefox on the W7 PC as IExpl would not even load the railswitch page. Thinking about it this is the only differnece the XP PC uses IExpl and the W7PC uses firefox. hmmm...

This is an interesting issue. Without knowing much about Railswitches, my hunch is that it does not like your OS. When any browser (one that is in standards compliance, at least) requests a web page, it sends a user agent string. This contains, among other things, your OS, your browser type and version. The Railswitch was probably programmed to accept only certain user agent strings. If you are willing, a way to test this theory is to download the Mozilla Firefox User Agent Switcher. After it is installed, using this site, find the correct user agent for the successful browser on XP and copy it. In Firefox, go to "Tools," hover over the "Default User Agent" item, and choose the "Edit User Agent". Select "New" and then "New User Agent...". Give it whatever description you like and then paste the string into the "User Agent" field. Delete the contents from the rest of the fields. Click "Ok" in both open windows. Then, go back to the "Tools" menu, hover over "Default User Agent" and select the one you just wrote. Now, try accessing your switch. I'll be curious if this works. If not, you've got me... Oh, one more thing. If you want to be sure that you are putting the correct user agent string into Firefox, go to the computer that works correctly. In IE's address bar, type: "java script:alert(navigator.userAgent)" This is case sensitive, and pressing return will open an alert box displaying the full user agent of that installation of IE. You can use that in Firefox and hopefully, it will work. If not, then we may be looking at some internal compatibility issue between the computer and switch. Either way, let us know. Edited by JStevens