Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
brianpk

Easiest to use and best programming software

19 posts in this topic

I am a long time GE user and am looking at exploring the use of other PLC's in my control systems. I have never been fond of GE's Machine Edition and still use logicmaster for all my projects. I would like opinions of others on which PLC you would use based on the quality of the programming software. Cost of the software is not an issue, availablity of the hardware may be an issue. I have been forced to use automation direct and Horner CScape and found both hardware and software to be of low quality. I am considering Soft PLC. Any opinions that professional users may have will be appreciated.

I would recommend Mitsubishi and the GX Works2 software. Its far less expensive than their old software, and far more functional. And the Q Series PLC is very powerful.

I use Omron CX-One by choice. I find it to be very powerfull and progressing all the time. It is also easy to use. One of the big advantages is that the function list in the PLCs is basically identical from the CP1L shoebox through the CJ1 rackless ro the CS1 rack PLC. All of them have up to 64 bit floating point maths etc. All can use FBs, SCL, ST etc. The package includes all PLCs with support/conversion of software from most of the older PLCs to the newer ones. Also screens, all networks, NC control, temperature controllers - the whole lot in one package. By the way, CX-One was, I believe, the first to support Vista and is already fully compatable with Windows 7. Edited by BobB

I would recommend Schneider(Telemechanique) Twido. It's a small PLC, robust, reliable and it has an easy-to-use software. You can have sections where you but several ladder rungs and call it for example "Lamps". Another one is "Initialization", etc. Thus, you order your ladder in a more understandable way.

Twido is darned useless! Gave them away a long time ago. Very limited function set and absolutely awfull software!

Since you are considering a soft-PLC, then there are two brands that you should consider especially. Siemens WinAC. Siemens is carpet-bombing with new products that use WinAC. They seem to be moving fast in the direction of Soft-PLCs, and with Siemens dominance in the market, it would be a safe bet. Some of the products are also priced very competitively, especially bundled combinations if IPC + WinAC. As to ease of use, then STEP7 consistently get low scores in this department. Beckhoff TwinCat. TwinCat is 100% soft-PLC, either as a stand-alone package, or bundled with IPCs or embedded PCs. They are very competitively priced. Approximately half the price of Siemens for example. As to ease of use, then I have tried the programming software for TwinCat, and it definitely needs some getting used to. Structured text works very well, whereas Ladder feels half-finished.

I'll second the Beckhoff, nice and easy to use and a good all round product

Beckoff is also very good as I/O when using P.L.C's. I have used them instead of Omron and also Siemens I/O. Rodney

I would stay away from Beckhoff PLC's and Siemens PLC's. We use Allen Bradley with BECKHOFF I/O. Beckhoff I/O is great and easily interfaced, but I cannot stand Twincat. Especially because it writes to your kernel and the only way to remove the software is reinstall the OS. This is what I was told from our Beckhoff trainer. I also like Keyence for small projects. This is kind of a bad topic because everyone is going to talk about what they have used in the past and really not what is better or worse. Coming from the automotive industry, AB is still on top of everything else. I have friends in the cement mixing (batch control) industry and they use Siemens and love it. I have friends in the overhead door industry and they use a lot of GE and keyence. I think it really depends on what you want to do.

From my experience, which part of the world you are in plays a larger part that which industry. I have seen quite a few automotive plants in North America with Modicon, and quite a few with Mitsubishi, so to say AB is on top of that industry is not really accurate. In many cases, it's who has the best local support and availability.

I would agree with the Modicon for the older plants, yes. But looking at the big picture from OEM's down to Tier 1 and 2's, I would say 95% or more is AB. There are always the exceptions, of course.

Why do you guys assume that the OP is working in the automotive industry in north america ? Armadillo, when one goes to say "stay away" from a certain brand, it would be prudent to explain why. You didnt say anything about Siemens, and your comment about Beckhoff does not sound as a dealbreaker to me.

I agree totally JesperMP Rodney

I never said the OP said anything about type related to the automotive industry. I was simply correcting inaccurate info that was provided which stated that most US automotive accounts were Allen Bradley. It's simply not true. I've been in various US companies (automakers themselves, and T1 and T2 suppliers). I have been in GM plants, Honda plants, Toyota plants, Subaru plants, as well as a variety of tier 1 and tier 2 suppliers. In my experience, Mitsubishi was a large installed base, as was Omron. Modicon was found in several plants as well as suppliers. In fact, in my career, I have seen more Mitsu and Omron used in the automotive industry than any other.

Crossbow, I stand corrected. All my experience the last 17 years has been Ford, Chrysler, and a little GM. Never any Non-US manufacturers. In these they are AB. Sorry for the confusion. And YES in the Tier 1's that have supplied to non-US companies, they have been Mitsubishi and Omron. I think this is because the OEM owns the equipment.

I liked the old GE VersaPro software. Unfortunately it is no longer supported. I have or am using RsLogix (all flavors), Proficy ME, Step 7, DirectSoft 5, and Proworx.

I agree with the above statement. What you find is it also depends on what part of the WORLD you live in. Allen Bradley for the USA and Beckoff/Siemens for Europe examples.... I do like GE Proficy. Because I like that it's the PLC and HMI programming all wrapped up into one software platform and I can share tags easy. PLC wise, I like the UDT "User defined Tags" in the 5000 series. Those are really, really powerful. I know that doesn't have anything to do with software, but I give GE a leg up for software platform. I have not tried any of the new Omron software yet either...so I just don't know if I would still like GE over Omron software. Maybe I need to get an Omron PLC, get intouch with my Omron contacts and write a first impression review...

PLC platform and software selection should be compared based on a few simple criteria; 1. Initial Cost (breakdown into cost per I/O point including development software to get an apples-to-apples comparison) 2. Support (local, phone/chat, availability) 3. Platform longevity (how long is the product line expected to be available) 4. Application history (have you any experience with this platform) 5. Hardware availability (delivery time - this is becoming a big issue as many companies are trying to reduce inventory to control costs) One may find that experimenting with a different PLC platform often leads to new issues not initially considered. Such as attempting to reduce initial hardware costs but having to deal with greater unplanned downtime. I still firmly believe a great control system platform is contingent on local and factory support. Reach out to users in your area to find out the key players and the benefits of the control system/software they use. Likewise, ask the question "what DON'T you like about your current control system/software solution". I personally think the Japanese-based controllers all have very, very simliar software and hardware (Omron, Panasonic, Mitsubishi, Keyence). Their costs are fairly competitive and their software solutions very similar in function, cost and support.

Back to the OP's question, I'm most comfortable and efficient with Rockwell products. I get bogged down with Siemens (S7), Schnedier Electric (PL7), & Modicon (Proworx) because I don't spend more than one project at a time with them; just long enough to get accustom to the hot keys. I have to say though, the speed & the online editing capabilities of RSL5, RSL500, RSL5K is a big winner for me over the others.