Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TimWilborne

Micrologix 1400 Delivery Problems

30 posts in this topic

Is anyone aware of what is going on with the Micrologix 1400's production? The last one I ordered, on January 15, was scheduled to be delivered on February 18th. A long lead but acceptable for a growing product. I just checked to make sure it was going to be delivered as scheduled and the delivery has been pushed back to March 23. Everyone I've talked to is having the same problem was if production has ceased. Now my distributor is pretty much saying they don't know when it will be delivered. Some are saying it will be 3 to 4 months, some are saying this is a temporary issue because of component production issues, and some are saying this will probably be a problem for the rest of the year. Does anyone know what is going on?

It's probably not going to be resolved very soon. Each distributor will be pushing to have their customers moved to the front of the line. I got that it is an unanticipated level of demand.

Time has mellowed me, are you suggesting I should go back to SHOUTING If there is simply more demand than there is supply then it is what it is, but I find it strange that I was able to order one at the end of last year and have it in 10 days but they are back ordered indefinitely on January 15. Did demand skyrocket that much in such a short time? That just doesn't add up.

I got the feeling that my distributor felt they weren't getting the wholle picture either. We had to switch a controller for a customer because of this. And AB could, while not solving the problem, at least email all their tech connect pcustomers with the full story about what's going on and not filter the news down one gripe at a time. Edited by b_carlton

Yes, it is looking like I'm going to have to switch manufacturers on several applications. I just wish I could get the real story on the delivery times so I would know if I'm overreacting or if it is true that the Micrologix 1400 will be virtually unavailable for the rest of this year.

Good progress today on solving my delivery issues. Looks like Rockwell has acknowledge that there are backlog problems with the Micrologix 1400 but they are working very hard to see to it that available stock is delivered to those customers who need them most. From my understanding you should contact your distributor and make sure that they understand your need. Is it immediate, for a project in the near future, or just for stock? While I don't have the PLC in my hand yet, I'm hoping that my February 22nd installation deadline will be enough to get mine prioritized. I'll keep everyone posted!

Just checked and there is one left on Ebay! Could be all yours TW!

What is it one you're selling

I wish, I bet the mark up could be pretty big right now!

We were told that they are having trouble with a chip supplier. These chips are used in many different products and AB is not on top of their list. I've had some instrumentation vendors having the same problem. My distributor told me they have a lot of ML1500 if that would fit the application. Edited by mvandyke

Yes, AB seems to be working hard to please the customer, making allowances for different models, but all my application require Ethernet which knocks the 1500 out

does this problem extend to the 1100 as well? Yeah no ethernet and no online programming capability. Thats the problem with the rest of the Mico line - they are pretty much neutered.

If it makes you feel any better TW, I have a PanelView 1000 that has no expected delivery date now because of a "parts shortage". My distributor informed me of this yesterday. Was supposed to be here a week ago.

Yes. My understanding is that this shortage is actually affects all the Micrologix lines because of a single common component. The 1100 and 1400 are most affected because of greater demand and less distributor stock since they are newer models

PanelView Standard (classic). Not to big a deal right now, today, as the project date may be getting pushed back.

I have a ML1400 that I purchased last fall, just now starting up the job. After about 4 hours of running, one of the inputs failed. I have a reed switch on a cylinder that is connected to the input, so no heavy lifting here. After 8 hours second input failed. Called local Rep. about a warranty replacement, was told three months. I also have two more on order and was told 3-6 months, if I'm lucky.

Since I am not very familiar with a lot of brands besides AB, might I ask what a similar replacement unit from other manufactures would be?

In any case it would be a lot of redesign and reprogramming. Both tasks far outweigh the cost of any hardware in the $500 range. The 1100 and 1400 filled a nice hole that AB had in the lower end (but still functional) category. It would be a shame if they screw it up with the availability problem.

Just about cleared out my inventory of 1400s and 1100s this past month. I am even having problems keeping stock of the 1200s as they have a 6 week lag time on them now. I recall ordering a dozen 1100s around 2nd week of January and they came in pretty quickly from the factory. Slow delivery and now we just got hit with a price increase from Rockwell. Anyone have their prices increased all across the board just last week? I feel like my distributor is playing it dumb by blaming it on Rockwell.

Historically, I recall AB price increases occurring in November but could be out of date.

reading this topic makes me want to go back to my Industrial Electronics Prof who almost failed me in 1986 because I was against JIT Manufacturing. This is clear example of what happens when you use JIT and get hit with surprise demand and supply issues.

First, I want to emphasize that this not intended to be a "bash AB" post. Allen Bradley's delivery problem with the MicroLogix range of PLCs is causing problems for OEMs and end users with project schedules to keep. I'm sure the majority of MicroLogix customers will ride out the late deliveries and stick with a product line that they are familiar and comfortable with. For them the negatives associated with switching to a different platform will outweigh the negatives associated with a delay in their project schedule. Some, however, may decide that any delay in the project schedule is unacceptable, even if it means switching to a different hardware platform. For them, I've started a thread in the "For Sale & Services Offered" section. http://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?showtopic=19205 I'm sure there are members on MrPLC.com with experience on multiple platforms, one of which being AB, who could offer services to convert programs and wiring diagrams from AB to any of several alternate brands. I'm hoping those with such experience will indicate their availablilty by posting in that thread. Those with projects at risk can check there to find people with experience in their preferred alternate brand and contact them off-line. Again, my intent in starting this thread is not to highlight AB's current difficulties. Eventually, their deliveries will get back to normal and they'll put this behind them. My intent is to help the end users get through it with as little pain and suffering as possible.

APPLAUSE STEVE APPLAUSE - WELL SAID I couldn't have phrased it better.